What Are Some Design Ideas for a 4 Bar Linkage Mechanism?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a 4 bar linkage and the need to build a mechanism using it. The purpose of the project is not specified, but suggestions are given for potential applications, such as automotive suspension. One participant suggests looking into the 'Power Block' website for helpful videos and ideas. Another suggests using a windscreen wiper type mechanism if the project does not need to have a real function.
iii
Hallow friends
I just finish to learn how to design 4 bar linkage
Now I need to build a 4 bar linkage mechanism
Because of this I search after mechanisms that work with 4 bar linkage
Or an ideas to 4 bar linkage
I will glad if anybody can help me

Engineering news on Phys.org
This may be a silly question but what are you building it for?

this 4 bar linkage is for my project in this course

Yes but I mean, do you just have to make one, or does it have to have a function?

What is the aim of the project?

I know of 4-bar linkages only as applied to automotive suspension. If that's the purpose here, I would suggest going to the 'Power Block' website. They have videos of their building projects. The 'Extreme 4 x 4' segments might be of particular help. They've shown all kinds of suspension builds, including 4-bar systems.

Well if it doesn't acutally have to function as something real, he can just make a windscreen wiper type mechanism.

Short link and long link.

A '4-bar' linkage is an odd project with no elaboration.

Windscreen wiper is a very good idea I search after more ideas

1. What is a 4 bar linkage?

A 4 bar linkage is a mechanical system that consists of four rigid bodies (or links) connected by four joints. These joints can be either revolute (allowing for rotational motion) or prismatic (allowing for translational motion). This type of linkage is commonly used in machines and mechanisms to transfer motion and force.

2. What is the purpose of a 4 bar linkage?

The purpose of a 4 bar linkage is to convert one type of motion (such as rotational) into another type of motion (such as translational). This allows for the creation of complex motion patterns and can be used to control the movement of various mechanical systems.

3. How does a 4 bar linkage work?

A 4 bar linkage works by using the relative motion of its four links and joints to transfer motion and force. The links are connected in a specific way, with one link being fixed and the others able to move. As the fixed link moves, it causes the other links to move in a predetermined manner, creating the desired motion.

4. What are some common applications of a 4 bar linkage?

4 bar linkages have a wide range of applications in various mechanical systems. Some common examples include steering mechanisms in cars, robotic arms, and suspension systems in bicycles. They can also be found in household items such as scissors and pliers.

5. How is the motion of a 4 bar linkage analyzed and designed?

The motion of a 4 bar linkage can be analyzed and designed using mathematical equations and computer simulations. This involves considering factors such as the length and orientation of the links, as well as the type and placement of joints. Advanced techniques such as kinematic analysis and optimization can also be used to refine the design and improve its performance.