Creating a 2D Cellular Automata with Modifications

• Thread starter farful
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Automata
In summary, creating a 2D cellular automata with modifications involves designing a grid of cells and defining rules for how each cell interacts with its neighboring cells. These rules can be modified to create different patterns and behaviors within the automata. The process can be further enhanced by adding additional layers or parameters, such as different types of cells or adding a time dimension. This allows for a wide range of possibilities and applications, including simulations of natural phenomena and the study of complex systems.
farful
I'm looking to create a two-dimensional cellular automata. And I suck at programming, esp if graphics are involved. Is there anything out there where you can program the rules for a CA and I can just let it run whilst watching it? I will need some extensive modifications...

Requirements of modifications I willl need:
1) two dimensional
2) cells are square-shaped (such that they have 8 neighbors)
3) each cell must allow at least 8 states (represented by different colours or whatever)
4) rules for cost
5) rules for selection
6) rules for initial state
7) I'm really not sure what else yet!

I've often used Matlab, to create cells using a vector/matrix, and used numbers, 0, 1, 2, etc, to change the state of a cell... but it's clearly not as pretty nor fun to watch :(

Likes Milan Bok
Technology news on Phys.org
Do you know C or Basic programming? If so, you can write a console version of Conway's game of life in less than 100 lines. I don't know anything about Matlab, but I know that FreeBasic is very easy to use and has a simple graphics library. It might work if you are new to coding.

If you are allowed to us another program, I suggest:

http://www.mirekw.com/ca/index.html

If you have to program it yourself, I would suggest just doing some simple (ASCII graphics using Allegro would be easy enough).

As to the link, that program is one of the greatest because it has so many different types of CA's, 1D's and 2D's, as well as numerous variants (such as generations). Overall, I doubt you will find a better free program to do what you want short of you making it yourself.

1. How does a 2D cellular automata work?

A 2D cellular automata is a grid of cells, where each cell has a state that can change based on a set of rules. These rules dictate how the state of a cell is affected by the states of its neighboring cells. The cells are updated simultaneously in discrete time steps, creating patterns and behaviors that emerge from the interactions between the cells.

2. What are some common modifications that can be made to a 2D cellular automata?

Some common modifications include changing the neighborhood size (i.e. number of neighboring cells that affect each cell), adding additional states for the cells, and incorporating different types of boundary conditions (e.g. wrapping, fixed, or reflective).

3. How do you determine the initial state of the cells in a 2D cellular automata?

The initial state of the cells can be determined randomly or by using a predetermined pattern. Some common initial patterns include single-cell seeds, random configurations, or repeating patterns.

4. Can a 2D cellular automata be used to model real-world systems?

Yes, 2D cellular automata have been used to model a wide range of real-world systems, such as population dynamics, traffic flow, and chemical reactions. The rules and initial conditions can be adjusted to simulate different scenarios and study their outcomes.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 2D cellular automata for modeling?

One limitation is that the behavior of a 2D cellular automata is entirely determined by its initial conditions and rules, so it may not accurately reflect certain complex systems. Additionally, the size and complexity of the grid can impact the computational resources required to run the simulation.