Height affecting wireless signal

In summary, the salesman said that the height of the router and the distance from the router to the computer can affect the signal.
Sakha
Hello.
I went to get a new router because I finally decided to get wireless. I got a Linksys WRT120N which supposedly has a decent range, according to the sellsman. On my apartment the router is about ten meters and has a couple walls between it and the computer.
The computer receives really weak signal, so I called the store and they said that it's because I live in a 16th floor.
If that's true I don't understand why would the height affect the range, and didn't got any results searching on the net. I would appreciate any explanation of the height affecting the signal.

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
So. you're saying that you're directly above your router?

A wireless routers emitted signal, or coverage area, isn't a perfect sphere. There's almost always going to be areas relatively close to the router where the signal is weak. Primarily, directly above and below.

wlanrange_dipole-az-el_sm.gif

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/wireless-lan-performance-improvement-ntk,review-134-2.html

Try to keep the router as far away from walls, ceilings, and floors as much as possible. When I was playing around with my personal routers at home, I was surprised at how much the signal will degrade as you move a router close to a wall or floor. The thickness of the walls and ceiling/floors is also a factor. Along with if there is any metals present. Also, try to avoid interference from other radio sources, ie; 2.4GHz cordless phones. Try adjusting the frequency setting up and down in the router and see if it makes any difference.

B. Elliott said:
So. you're saying that you're directly above your router?

No, the router is approximately the same height as me, but the guys at the store said that the height relative to the ground can affect the signal.

Sakha said:
No, the router is approximately the same height as me, but the guys at the store said that the height relative to the ground can affect the signal.

Somewhat, but not considerably. The only time it will noticeably degrade the signal is if you're trying to pick up the signal from the other side of the obstruction that the router is close to. Even then, 802.11g's are still pretty good at maintaining a good signal. Especially the newer MIMO 802.11n's.

Example. In my barracks room I have a triple antenna Belkin N router. A friend of mine can still get internet access on it from approximately 150 feet away and passing through over 22 rooms. The router is five feet off the ground and five or six inches off the wall which is in the direction of his room. The signal does vary GREATLY within his room though. Lots of complete dead spots with only a few areas where he can get internet. Still, much, much better compared to 802.11b.

1. How does height affect wireless signal strength?

Height plays a crucial role in wireless signal strength as it determines the line of sight between the transmitter and receiver. The higher the height, the fewer obstacles and interference there are between the two, resulting in a stronger and more reliable signal.

2. Does the height of the wireless router affect signal strength?

Yes, the placement of the wireless router can significantly impact the signal strength. Placing the router at a higher elevation, such as on a shelf or mounted on a wall, can improve the range and strength of the signal.

3. Can tall buildings or structures affect wireless signals?

Yes, tall buildings or structures can block or reflect wireless signals, causing interference and reducing the strength of the signal. This is why it is essential to consider the placement of wireless devices in relation to any obstacles.

4. How does height affect the range of a wireless signal?

The higher the height of the wireless device, the greater the range of the signal. This is because there are fewer obstacles to interfere with the signal, allowing it to travel further. However, other factors such as the type of antenna and environmental conditions also play a role in the range of a wireless signal.

5. Is there a recommended height for optimal wireless signal strength?

There is no specific height that guarantees optimal wireless signal strength as it depends on various factors such as the type of wireless device, surrounding environment, and distance between devices. However, as a general rule, placing the wireless devices at a higher elevation can improve signal strength and range.