Master in Physics: Preparing for Graduate Studies After 13 Years

In summary, a 33-year-old male who graduated from the University of Jordan in physics in 1997 is looking to pursue graduate studies in the subject after 13 years. They are seeking help in creating a study timetable to prepare for the exams in four months, as they feel they have forgotten a lot of material. They have identified weaknesses in quantum mechanics and mathematics, particularly in solving differential equations. They have been using books such as "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" and "Elementary Differential Equations with Boundary Value Problem" for revision. They are also working on improving their skills in solid state and particle physics. They plan to focus on ODEs, PDEs, and Fourier series to ensure a strong foundation for
mahmoudleenra
i am 33 years old male , i finished my undergraduate works in physics at the university of jordan in 1997 . i want ( the next semester ) to make the graduate study in physics that is after 13 years of the bachelor degree , i want someone to help me to make a timetable to make revision withen 4 months this because i feel that i forget too many things and i want to make excellent marks in the graduate studies . thank u in advanced

mahmoud daoud
amman - jordan

Physics news on Phys.org
please i want some one to replay to me

First of all: How much do you know, how much did you forget?
Second: Can you do all the problems in the GRE test? Where are your weaknesses?
Do you need to brush up some maths? Can you solve DE's for example?
We can't help much if we don't have an idea about your current level.
You'd have to work out your weaknesses.

when i decided to make the graduate studies i put the books that i took during the undergraduate studies , and i thought that i must start with the quantum mechanics because i was weak in it during the undergraduate .

i started from the beginning and i found that i forget some of the mathematical methods in the physical problems related to schrodinger equation and operators so i take fast revision using the book " mathematical methods in the physical sciences by mary boas " and when i reached the ordinary differential equations i opend the book " elementary differential equations with boundary value problem by diprima " until now i am studing it

about the GRE physics i can solve nearly 70% of its problems but i have weakness in solid state physics and particle physics

i feel that i must focus on ( ODE'S & PDE'S & FOURIER SERIES ) is that good to enter the graduate works standing on good ground or not ?

i wish that some one discuss me . thank you

1. What is a Master in Physics program?

A Master in Physics program is a graduate level degree that focuses on advanced topics in physics, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics. It is designed to prepare students for further studies in physics or a related field, such as engineering or astrophysics.

2. How long does it take to complete a Master in Physics program?

The length of a Master in Physics program can vary depending on the institution and the student's course load. On average, it takes 2-3 years to complete a Master in Physics program after 13 years of education. This may also depend on whether the student chooses to complete a thesis or a non-thesis track.

3. What are the admission requirements for a Master in Physics program?

Admission requirements for a Master in Physics program may vary between institutions, but typically include a bachelor's degree in a related field (such as physics or engineering), letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a competitive GPA. Some programs may also require GRE scores or proficiency in certain mathematical concepts.

4. Can I pursue a Master in Physics if I have not studied physics in my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master in Physics program even if you have not studied physics in your undergraduate degree. However, some programs may require you to take prerequisite courses to ensure you have a strong foundation in the subject. It is best to check with the specific institution for their admission requirements.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing a Master in Physics program?

Graduates with a Master in Physics degree have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Some may choose to pursue further studies in physics or a related field, while others may enter the workforce in industries such as research and development, engineering, or data analysis. Other career options may include teaching, consulting, or working in government agencies or national laboratories.