Freezing point of flowing water.

In summary, the question is whether water flowing has a lower freezing point compared to still water. Some suggest that the kinetic energy of flowing water makes it harder to freeze, while others mention the possible role of increased turbulence and latent heat of melting. However, further research or evidence is needed to support this theory.
fatihseker
Hello,
this is my first post :) I will be very glad if you would answer my question. Does freezing point decrease if water is flowing or in otjer words,"does flowing water freeze more easily than still water". if the answer is yes, would you please give me the link of the source or paper. iwill be very very appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I'd quite like to know the answer to that. :rolleyes:

Anyone? :smile:

I would have no idea how to support my answer using physics. But something tells me that the more kinetic energy the water has, the harder it is to stabilize. So I think the faster water flows the lower freezing point it has.

Gedankenexperiment

A gently flowing stream of water has/with a very smooth boundary layer transition from no flow attached at the boundary to the highest velocity. Where does the freezing first occur? What pattern might the frozen fluid form?

freezing point is 0 degrees celsius at 1.013 bar atmosphere pressure now it depends because since water is flowing it has a kinetic energy and thus making it harder to freeze as we know solid form is just molecules moving closer together, slowing down etc... which means u will rarely find ice on flowing water

One possibility is that water at 0 Celsius rapidly increases viscosity as it begins to freeze, so if it is flowing, there is increased Reynold's number (turbulence) and thus increased kinetic energy being converted into latent heat of melting. Many years ago, I was camping near a flowing stream in the winter. When I arose in the morning, I mixed a cup of Tang using the stream water, which quickly began to freeze in my tin cup. Was it the Tang that made it freeze?

Bob S

Last edited:

What is the freezing point of flowing water?

The freezing point of flowing water is 0 degrees Celsius or 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

What factors can affect the freezing point of flowing water?

The freezing point of flowing water can be affected by external conditions such as air temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities like salt or minerals.

Why does flowing water freeze at a lower temperature than still water?

Flowing water has a lower freezing point because the constant movement prevents the formation of large ice crystals, allowing for the water to remain in a liquid state at slightly lower temperatures.

Can the freezing point of flowing water vary in different locations?

Yes, the freezing point of flowing water can vary in different locations due to differences in external conditions and the presence of impurities in the water.

Can the freezing point of flowing water be manipulated?

Yes, the freezing point of flowing water can be manipulated by changing the external conditions or adding substances to the water that can lower or raise the freezing point.