Aether and sub-atomic particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of electrons and their composition. The concept of an electron being a fundamental particle with no internal structure is brought up, but the possibility of it being a string is also mentioned. The idea of the universe being blanketed in some form of energy or dark matter, and the connection between matter and energy, is also explored. The existence of the Aether, a 19th century hypothesis, is questioned and compared to the concept of dark matter. Overall, the conversation delves into the fundamental components of the universe and their origins.
Hat_Man
Does anyone really know what an electron is made of? Theoreticly it can't be broken down so there is nothing to make it out of. Logic says it must have an origin and if it does then there must be something to create it from. Even if there were you would have to reach a point of infintesimal matter where there is nothing to support so small a structure.
The same thing can be said of energy. It can be measured but not identified as a thing. The Aether and dark energy explains this phenomenom to some extent but not fully.
Matter can be converted into energy and vice versa so there must be a connection. I think, and don't hesitate to squelch me if I'm terribly wrong, but I think they are fundimentally the same thing. Matter is vastly more dense then energy and even the tiniest amounts of matter hold enormious energy potential. Matter simply could be a stable, relitevly unmoving, state of energy. If the universe is blanketed in dark energy could not the fluctuating fields of this energy have a similar effect as a black hole and collapse in on itself, forming a sud-atomic particle of matter? This could explain vacuum matter, along with other various phenomenons. Matter can be thought of as energy incarnate, to put it very crudely.
Please tell me what you think of this? PLease!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure whether people still talk about Aether. I know this stuff as a 19th century hypothesis for the medium light propagates in. It was shown that it does not exist. As for the rest of your ideas, I think you're on a good track.

Maybe I was using the term Aether wrongly. What I meant was the hypothosis that the universe is blancketed in some form of energy or dark matter. Whether it is the same as the Michelson experiment or not I do not know. I do know that Michelson continued to believe that the Aether existed even though his experiment failed.
Whether or not it is the Aether or something else entirely, such as dark matter, there must be some foundational structure from which all forms of matter and energy originate.

an electron is a point charge.

an electron is a fundamental particle in the Standard Model, this means it has NO internal structure...

Looking on a deeper level though an electron (or the energy corresponding to it's restmass) can be seen as a string. But this vision is still specumative to some level...

regards
marlon

What is Aether and its relationship to sub-atomic particles?

Aether is a hypothetical substance that was once believed to fill the entire universe and serve as the medium through which light and other electromagnetic waves travel. However, modern physics has debunked the existence of Aether, as it is not necessary to explain the behavior of sub-atomic particles.

What are sub-atomic particles and how are they classified?

Sub-atomic particles are particles that make up atoms, which in turn make up all matter in the universe. They are classified into three main categories: leptons (such as electrons and neutrinos), quarks (which make up protons and neutrons), and bosons (responsible for carrying forces between particles).

How do sub-atomic particles interact with each other?

Sub-atomic particles interact with each other through the four fundamental forces: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. These forces are responsible for the interactions between particles and play a crucial role in the structure of matter.

What is the role of sub-atomic particles in the universe?

Sub-atomic particles are the building blocks of all matter in the universe. They play a crucial role in the structure and behavior of atoms, which in turn make up all the elements and substances in the universe. Without sub-atomic particles, the universe as we know it would not exist.

How do scientists study sub-atomic particles?

Scientists study sub-atomic particles using various tools and techniques, such as particle accelerators, detectors, and mathematical models. These methods allow them to observe and measure the behavior of particles and make predictions about their properties and interactions.