Solving Inverse Trig Function: sin-1(1/sqrt2) Without a Calculator

In summary: Ugh, 2sqrt2/2. I must need sleep. Thanks Blu3eyes and Mark44. I appreciate it. Couldn't see the forest through the trees on that one.
MacLaddy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the exact value of this expression in degrees without using a calculator or table.

sin-1(1/sqrt2)

Homework Equations

Typical inverse function

The Attempt at a Solution

I can figure this out easily on my calculator, as it comes to 45 degrees, but how could I figure this out without one? It isn't on the unit circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
MacLaddy said:

Homework Statement

Find the exact value of this expression in degrees without using a calculator or table.

sin-1(1/sqrt2)

Homework Equations

Typical inverse function

The Attempt at a Solution

I can figure this out easily on my calculator, as it comes to 45 degrees, but how could I figure this out without one? It isn't on the unit circle.

Let y = sin-1(1/sqrt(2)). Then sin(y) = sin(sin-1(1/sqrt(2))) = 1/sqrt(2).

Can you figure it out from there?

No, I think I can follow you that far, and I can see that corresponds with a triangle and the Pythagorean theorem if I draw it out, but I am still not seeing how to end at 45 degrees.

EDIT* Oh, I may see. So I multiply everything on the triangle by the square root of 2, and that gives me sqrt2/2?

So far in my class we have been dealing mainly with either the unit circle, or a calculator. A few random identities in between, but nothing quite like this.

I have one more follow up question to that one, if I may, and it's because I think it's relevant to how the one above was completed. (if I did in fact figure that out correctly) The question below goes like this.

Find the exact value of each composition without using a calculator or table.

sec(arcsin(1/sqrt2)).

Trying this I can not find an exact value, other than sec(45deg), or 1/cos(45deg)

MacLaddy said:
Trying this I can not find an exact value, other than sec(45deg), or 1/cos(45deg)

You're right there. what is cos(45)? And what is the value of that 1/cos(45)

Blu3eyes said:
You're right there. what is cos(45)? And what is the value of that 1/cos(45)

Ugh, 2sqrt2/2. I must need sleep. Thanks Blu3eyes and Mark44. I appreciate it. Couldn't see the forest through the trees on that one.

What is an inverse trig function?

An inverse trig function is the opposite of a regular trig function. Instead of taking an angle and outputting a ratio, it takes a ratio and outputs an angle.

Why is solving inverse trig functions important?

Solving inverse trig functions is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It allows us to find missing angles or sides in triangles and other geometric shapes.

What is the process for solving inverse trig functions without a calculator?

The process for solving inverse trig functions without a calculator involves using the inverse trig function formula, which states that sin-1(x) = θ if and only if sin(θ) = x. This means taking the inverse sine of the ratio given and solving for the angle.

How can I solve inverse trig functions quickly?

One way to solve inverse trig functions quickly is by memorizing common trigonometric ratios such as sin(30°) = 1/2, cos(45°) = 1/√2, and tan(60°) = √3. This can help you quickly identify the angle associated with a given ratio.

What are some common mistakes when solving inverse trig functions?

Some common mistakes when solving inverse trig functions include forgetting to check the domain of the inverse trig function, using the wrong inverse trig function, and not converting the angle from radians to degrees or vice versa.