Weight distribution, multiple points of contact

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of calculating normal forces for a vehicle in contact with the ground at three specific places. The individual has tried to calculate the torque around all locations but has not been able to obtain an extra equation necessary to solve the problem. It is mentioned that an additional equation may be needed if the contact points are in a straight line, and four points would require another equation.
Gunnar Larsso
Hello everyone!

I am struggling with calculating the normal forces for a vehicle that is in contact with the ground at three places (scoop, front wheels, rare wheels).

To calculate the normal forces with two locations (such as front and rare wheel) it is just to balance the forces as well as the torque giving you two equations and two unknowns.

However, with three locations I am one equation short.. Having tried to calculate the torque around all locations I have realized that doing so provide no extra information (i.e. just get back the same equation for angular momentum independent of location or 0=0 after some manipulation). I have the feeling that I have missed something basic, fundamental and simple, but just can't figure out what.. How do I find that extra equation needed to solve the problem? Any help would be deeply appreciated!

Regards,
Gunnar

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello Gunnar! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If the three contact points are in a straight line, then yes you need another equation (probably one describing how much the "rigid" body bends).

If they're not in a line, then no, but you would need another equation for four points. :wink:

1. How does weight distribution affect stability?

Weight distribution plays a crucial role in determining the stability of an object. When an object is supported by multiple points of contact, an even distribution of weight among those points helps to evenly distribute the forces acting on the object. This results in a more stable and balanced structure.

2. What is the importance of having multiple points of contact?

Having multiple points of contact helps to distribute the weight of an object and prevent it from tipping over. This is especially important for larger or heavier objects, as a single point of contact may not be able to support the weight and could lead to instability or damage.

3. How does weight distribution affect the load-bearing capacity of an object?

The distribution of weight among multiple points of contact can greatly impact the load-bearing capacity of an object. When weight is evenly distributed, each point of contact bears less weight and is therefore able to support a greater load. This allows for heavier objects to be supported without compromising stability.

4. Can weight distribution be adjusted to improve stability?

Yes, weight distribution can be adjusted to improve stability. By redistributing the weight among multiple points of contact, the center of gravity can be lowered and the object can become more stable. This can be achieved by changing the placement of the object's weight or by adding additional points of contact.

5. What factors can affect weight distribution?

Several factors can affect weight distribution, including the shape and size of the object, the placement of the weight, and the number and placement of points of contact. Other external factors, such as wind or movement, can also impact weight distribution and stability.