Sodium Hydroxide: Purpose & Substitute

In summary: Code=as2&creativeASIN=B001EDBEZM In summary, the solution would be fine without the sodium hydroxide, but the creator of the solution recommends adding it to make the gel thicker and more stable. The amount to add is not dangerous unless too much is added, and can be determined by using pH strips.
mrwhitee
If you had a solution of the following

zinc
benzalkonium chloride
glycerin
hydroxyethylcellulose
purified water
sodium chloride
sodium hydroxide

what would be the purpose of the sodium hydroxide and would the solution be fine without it?

What would you use for a safer substitute?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sounds like some kind of moisturise aside from it wouldn't be zinc it would be zinc oxide. The sodium hydroxide is there to adjust the pH and I don't see why you'd need a safer substitute, the issue isn't the substance itself it's the concentration which is going to be pretty low.

Without the sodium hydroxide half the ingredients would probably crash out of solution or separate over time.

Its a zinc nasal gel to fight colds. You can't buy it anymore but I found directions on you tube to make it.

but he says to leave out the sodium hydroxide because he thinks its dangerous. I guess maybe he doesn't know how much to put into it.

I made the solution in his video and it came out fine but I would rather put the sodium hydroxide back in if we can figure out a safe amount.

Any clue to the amount needed for the 2 ounce solution posted above ?

here is the actual recipe from the video

1 ounce glycerin water soluble
1 ounce of walgreens curechrome or cvs mercuroclear (0.12% benzalkonium chloride)
1/8 teaspoon zinc gluconate
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon unflavored pure gelatin

mix all together and microwave for 30 secs
refrigerate for couple of hours for gel to set.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stability and viscosity of gelatin depend on pH. It would be hard to estimate how much sodium hydroxide you will need without doing a whole bunch of stability and viscosity experiments as a function of pH to find out which combination will give you adequate gel viscosity with acceptable shelf-life for the product. That's one of the trade secrets of the original manufacturer. Granted, the amount has to be a safe amount, but that's only one consideration.

I wouldn't care too much about shelf life as I would only make it at the time I needed it and then throw it out a couple of days later after I was convinced that I didn't need it anymore. I mean it took all of 5 minutes to make it besides the sitting in the fridge part.

So I wonder maybe its fine not to have it if you only make it when needed.

You probably need the pH adjustment to make the gel thick enough to stay in your nose. You will need to determine the amount to add and it isn't dangerous unless you add too much. I'd use pH paper that would let me measure in the range of 7-8. Don't go higher than pH 8 IMO.

Surely the advice here should be if you're not absolutely certain you should not be sticking it up your nose?

lol... don't worry, Ill test it on my skin some where before I stick it up my nose. Even then Ill still be extremely careful with a tiny amount before I stick it up my nose which is more sensitive than my skin.

The PH test strips might be the way to go. I'm in no hurry so I think I will order the stuff and experiment with it. I guess its similar to the pool that we test with the liquid drops to keep the PH under 8 so the swimmers eyes don't burn.

I just need to order the sodium hydroxide and the PH strips.

Where do you guys prefer to order from online? Like a place with reasonable prices and a good stock.

Beware - you need a correct purity chemicals. No idea what purity will be OK, nor where to buy them, bust just because someone sells these chemicals doesn't mean they can be used the way you want to use them. There are different classes of purity for different applications, details will depend on where you live.

I am not convinced you will be safe trying.

What is the purpose of Sodium Hydroxide?

Sodium Hydroxide, also known as lye or caustic soda, is a highly caustic and corrosive compound that is commonly used in various industries such as manufacturing, cleaning, and food processing. Its main purpose is to act as a strong base and neutralize acids, making it useful in many chemical reactions.

What are the potential dangers of using Sodium Hydroxide?

Sodium Hydroxide can be extremely hazardous if not handled properly. It is highly corrosive and can cause severe burns if it comes in contact with the skin, eyes, or respiratory system. It is also toxic if ingested and can cause serious damage to internal organs. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and handling it in a well-ventilated area, should always be taken when working with this chemical.

What are some common substitutes for Sodium Hydroxide?

Sodium Hydroxide can be substituted with other strong bases such as potassium hydroxide or magnesium hydroxide. It can also be replaced with milder alternatives such as sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate, but these may not be as effective in certain applications. It is important to carefully consider the properties and purpose of the chemical when selecting a substitute.

Is Sodium Hydroxide safe to use in household products?

Sodium Hydroxide is commonly found in household cleaning products, such as drain cleaners and oven cleaners. However, it is important to always read and follow the instructions and safety precautions on these products carefully. When used and stored properly, the concentration of Sodium Hydroxide in these products should not pose a significant risk to consumers.

How is Sodium Hydroxide produced?

Sodium Hydroxide is typically produced through the electrolysis of sodium chloride (salt) in a process called the chlor-alkali process. In this process, a concentrated salt solution is passed through an electrolytic cell where an electric current is passed through it, causing the sodium and chloride ions to separate. The sodium ions then combine with water to form Sodium Hydroxide while the chlorine gas is collected as a byproduct.