Solving by seperation of variables.

In summary, the conversation is about solving a first-order ODE and the difficulties the speaker is facing due to being new to the subject and self-taught. They discuss the general formula for integrating functions with a power of y, but the speaker is unsure how to handle the dy on top. They eventually come to the understanding that they can rewrite the power of y as a negative to integrate it. They also mention the exception for r=-1 in the general formula.
misogynisticfeminist
I've got a few 1st order ODEs which I have problems solving. I am new to the subject and self-taught so I may have a little difficulty absorbing. The question is...

1. [tex] \frac {dy}{dx} = \frac {y^3}{x^2} [/tex]

for 1. I put it in the form,

[tex] x^2 dy = y^3 dx [/tex]

[tex] \frac {dy}{y^3} = \frac {dx}{x^2} [/tex]

But I get stuck when i integrate both sides. I have not integrated dy/ y^n functions before.

Physics news on Phys.org
For ALL numbers except r=-1, we have:
[tex]\int{t}^{r}dt=\frac{1}{r+1}t^{r+1}+C[/tex]

hmmm, I'm quite familiar with the formula. But, usually when we have a

[tex] \frac {dy}{y} [/tex] function, we usually get [tex] ln y +c [/tex] for the integral. So, i was wondering if there is anything remotely close to ln which I can use. I can actually integrate [tex] x^3 [/tex] but I don't know what to do with the dy on top.

thanks.

When you have the dy on top you just need to rewrite the power of the y by putting a negative before the three. This is because dy/(x³) is just the same as (x^-3)dy.

[tex]
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = \frac{{y^3 }}{{x^2 }}
[/tex]

[tex]
\int {\frac{{dy}}{{y^3 }}} = \int {\frac{{dx}}{{x^2 }}}
[/tex]

[tex]
\int {y^{ - 3} } dy = \int {x^{ - 2} } dx
[/tex]

[tex]
- \frac{1}{{2y^2 }} = - \frac{1}{x} + c
[/tex]

Last edited:
arildno said:
For ALL numbers except r=-1, we have:
[tex]\int{t}^{r}dt=\frac{1}{r+1}t^{r+1}+C[/tex]

That's is true. When you have r=-1, then the answer would be [tex]ln x [\tex]

1. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve differential equations. It involves separating a multi-variable function into simpler functions that only depend on one variable each.

2. When is separation of variables used?

Separation of variables is used to solve differential equations that can be written in the form of a product of functions of different variables. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

3. How does separation of variables work?

The technique of separation of variables involves assuming that the solution to a differential equation can be written as a product of two functions, each of which depends on only one variable. By substituting this assumption into the differential equation and rearranging terms, the equation can be separated into two simpler equations, each of which can be solved independently.

4. What are the limitations of separation of variables?

Separation of variables can only be used to solve certain types of differential equations, specifically those that can be written in the form of a product of functions. It also only works for linear differential equations, meaning that the dependent variable and its derivatives appear linearly in the equation.

5. Can separation of variables be used for all differential equations?

No, separation of variables can only be used for a specific subset of differential equations. It is important to carefully analyze the form of the equation and determine if it is appropriate to use this technique. Other methods, such as substitution or integration, may be necessary for solving other types of differential equations.