TE / TM polarization of a Laser Diode

In summary, the best way to observe the TE and TM modes of a laser diode is to either use a polarizer to filter out the TE mode and detect a residual TM mode, or to use an external cavity with a polarizer to suppress the TE mode and excite the TM mode. Using a half-wave plate will not give intensity minima and maxima, unless a polarizer is also used.
Samu
I am working with a Laser Diode and I need to observe the intensity of the diode in TE and TM polarizations. the Diode is polarized in the horizontal axis (linear polarization). Is it sufficient to use a half wave plate and rotate it by 90 degrees to observe TE and TM modes?

Also, what kind of output should i expect while using a half wave plate in front of a linearly polarized source? Will I get maxima at pi/2 angles of the plate and minima at pi/4 angles?

Thanks for the help!

Science news on Phys.org
If I understand your post correctly, it is not sufficient simply to put a half-wave plate in front of the laser to detect the (say) TM mode as all you're doing is rotating the (say) TE output by 90 degrees and detecting it again.

Assuming the laser initially emits primarily off the TE polarization, the first solution would be to simply use a polarizer to filter out the TE mode and attempt to detect a residual TM mode. The second solution would be to use an external cavity with a polarizer to suppress the TE mode and attempt to excite the TM mode. Keep in mind though that using an external cavity will affect the output mode.

A half-wave plate will rotate the linear polarization and as such will not give intensity minima and maxima (unless a polarizer is placed in between the output and the detector of course).

Claude.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the help Claude! I will try using the polarizer method which you suggested.

1. What is TE/TM polarization of a Laser Diode?

TE/TM polarization refers to the two possible polarizations of light emitted from a laser diode. TE (Transverse Electric) polarization means that the electric field of the light is perpendicular to the direction of propagation, while TM (Transverse Magnetic) polarization means that the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

2. How does the polarization of a laser diode affect its performance?

The polarization of a laser diode can affect its performance in several ways. For example, TE polarized light tends to have a higher output power and better beam quality, while TM polarized light has a lower output power and can cause unwanted reflections. Additionally, the polarization of a laser diode can impact its interaction with other optical components in a system.

3. Can the polarization of a laser diode be controlled?

Yes, the polarization of a laser diode can be controlled through various methods such as using polarizers, waveplates, or birefringent crystals. These components can manipulate the polarization of the light emitted from the laser diode to achieve the desired polarization state.

4. Why is it important to consider TE/TM polarization in laser diode applications?

It is important to consider TE/TM polarization in laser diode applications because the polarization state can affect the performance and behavior of the laser diode. For example, in certain applications where polarization stability is crucial, choosing a laser diode with a specific polarization may be necessary.

5. How can I determine the polarization state of a laser diode?

There are several methods for determining the polarization state of a laser diode. One common method is to use a polarizer and measure the output power at different orientations to determine the polarization angle. Alternatively, specialized instruments such as polarimeters or ellipsometers can also be used to measure the polarization state of a laser diode.