Showing two sets are not homeomorphic in subspace topology.

In summary, the conversation discusses a simplified version of a complicated problem involving sets and open sets. The goal is to show that two open sets, U and V, cannot be diffeomorphic. The speaker suggests looking for a topological property that one set has and the other does not, such as path-connectivity. This would prove that the sets are not homeomorphic.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

The true problem is too complicated to present here, but hopefully somebody can give me a hand with this simplified version. Consider the set [itex] H = \{ (x,y) \in \mathbb R^2 : y \geq 0 \} [/itex]. Denote by [itex] \partial H = \{ (x,0) \}[/itex]. Let U and V be open sets (relative to H) such that [itex] U \cap \partial H = \emptyset [/itex] and [itex] V \cap \partial H \neq \emptyset [/itex]. I want to show that U and V cannot be diffeormorphic. It should be possible to show that these sets are not homeomorphic so we content ourselves with that.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that this shouldn't be too hard, but I don't want to make any silly mistakes. First of all, these are both open sets in H viewed with the subspace topology inherited from [itex] \mathbb R^2 [/itex]. However, the fact that V intersects the "boundary" of H would imply that there is some topological property which we shouldn't be able to transfer between the two of them. Should I look for an intrinsic property in H? Or is it possible to view U and V as subsets of [itex] \mathbb R^2 [/itex] and get a contradiction there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated. My thoughts:I think the easiest way to approach this problem is to show that U and V are not homeomorphic. To do this, we can look for a topological property which one of them has and the other does not. Since U does not intersect the boundary of H, it follows that it is path-connected. On the other hand, since V does intersect the boundary, it is not path-connected. Therefore, since path-connectivity is a topological invariant, U and V cannot be homeomorphic.

1. How can you determine if two sets are not homeomorphic in subspace topology?

To determine if two sets are not homeomorphic in subspace topology, we can use the concept of topological invariants. These are properties that are preserved under homeomorphisms, meaning that if two sets have different invariants, they cannot be homeomorphic. Some commonly used invariants include connectedness, compactness, and separability.

2. Can a subset of a homeomorphic set be homeomorphic to a different set?

No, a subset of a homeomorphic set cannot be homeomorphic to a different set. This is because a homeomorphism is a bijective continuous map between two topological spaces, and a subset will always have a different topology than the original set. Therefore, the subset and the different set cannot be homeomorphic.

3. Are there any visual cues that can help determine if two sets are not homeomorphic?

Yes, there are some visual cues that can help determine if two sets are not homeomorphic. For example, if one set is compact and the other is not, then they cannot be homeomorphic. Similarly, if one set is connected and the other is not, they also cannot be homeomorphic. However, these visual cues are not always definitive and it is important to use topological invariants for a more rigorous determination.

4. Can two sets with different dimensions be homeomorphic in subspace topology?

No, two sets with different dimensions cannot be homeomorphic in subspace topology. This is because homeomorphisms preserve the topological structure of a set, and sets with different dimensions have different topological structures. For example, a line and a plane cannot be homeomorphic, even if they both have the subspace topology of a circle.

5. How important is the choice of the subspace in determining if two sets are not homeomorphic?

The choice of the subspace is crucial in determining if two sets are not homeomorphic. In fact, two sets may be homeomorphic in one subspace, but not in another. For example, the interval (0,1) and the whole real line may be homeomorphic when considered as subspaces of the real line, but not when considered as subspaces of the half-open interval (0,1]. Therefore, it is important to carefully choose the subspace when determining if two sets are not homeomorphic.