Approaching potential supervisor about a PhD

• Programs
  • Thread starter hawaiifiver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Potential
In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach for acquiring information about a PhD project advertised on a university's website. The individual is wondering about the proper etiquette for contacting a potential supervisor and whether to email or visit in person. It is suggested to email the supervisor expressing interest and asking about available projects, which may lead to a conversation about potential opportunities.
hawaiifiver
Hello to all,

I have seen a PhD advertised on my local university's website. What's the best way to acquire information about the project or (I suppose what I'm trying to ask is here is) what's the proper etiquette for first contact with a potential supervisor to ask about the PhD?

Should I just e-mail him and say I am interested in the project and have a degree in physics, or ask him can I go into the university to discuss it? Any thoughts? I've read some of the articles posted on the PhD webpage and find the area fascinating, so I'd really like to be in with a shot of applying for it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just e-mail him and say that you're interested. Ask if he has some current projects where you can work on (or mention a specific project that you're interested in). He will likely invite you to have a talk...

What is the best way to approach a potential supervisor about a PhD?

The best way to approach a potential supervisor about a PhD is to do your research beforehand. Make sure you are familiar with their research interests and current projects. Then, send them an email expressing your interest in their work and inquire about the possibility of joining their research team. It is important to be professional and respectful in your communication.

When is the appropriate time to contact a potential supervisor about a PhD?

The appropriate time to contact a potential supervisor about a PhD is typically 6-12 months before the program start date. This will give them enough time to review your application and make a decision. However, if you have a specific reason for contacting them earlier, such as a funding deadline, it is acceptable to reach out earlier.

What information should I include in my initial communication with a potential supervisor?

In your initial communication with a potential supervisor, you should include a brief introduction of yourself, your educational background, and your research interests. You should also mention why you are interested in their work and how it aligns with your research goals. It is also important to attach your CV and any relevant publications or research experience.

How many potential supervisors should I contact?

It is recommended to contact at least 3-5 potential supervisors when applying for a PhD. This will increase your chances of finding a suitable match and receiving an offer. However, it is important to prioritize the quality of your potential supervisors over the quantity.

What should I do if I do not receive a response from a potential supervisor?

If you do not receive a response from a potential supervisor, do not be discouraged. Follow up with a polite email after a few weeks. If you still do not receive a response, it is best to move on and contact other potential supervisors. Keep in mind that supervisors are often busy and may not have the capacity to take on new students at the time.