Exploring the Size of Atomic Particles: Probing the Truth About Their Dimensions

In summary, the concept of atomic particles having a specific size or shape is not applicable at the subatomic level. They are better described as clouds of probability, and their size cannot be accurately measured due to Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle. The shape of a particle is determined by its vibrations, and the concept of density is not applicable at this level. While experiments have been conducted to measure the size of atoms and particles, they are limited by our understanding of fields and our tendency to view everything in terms of mass and energy. It is the field force that is always conserved, rather than the size or mass of the particle.
gendou
does anyone know if the atomic particles (protons, neutrons, electrons) have a particular size/shape? perhaps the idea of them having a certain radius is an imaginary concept? i would love to hear a knowledgeable opinion!

Physics news on Phys.org
No "particular" size or shape, at that level you have clouds of probability, depending on how they're packed, their energy levels, that sort of thing. One thing they are NOT are tiny little balls, as usually illustrated.

Actually, I just wonder... What is the significance of size relating to a fundamental particle? I mean, when we talk of a billiard ball or whatever, our measure of size comes from the structure of EM force interactions it maintains, holding the individual bits apart a certain distance where they are in equilibrium and so on. But when we talk of individual leptons... how can we measure them?

See http://www.vicphysics.org/news/oconnor1.doc

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks FZ+ and garys_2k! i was wondering the same thing, i would agree that the classic model of "shape" doesn't work in a subatomic context.

What Garys_2k was saying about "clouds of probability" is also known as Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle. This states that it is impossible to measure the momementum and the position of a particle simultaneously. This implies that an object is always in motion. So we can't measure a particle at a standstill, which makes it impossible to determine it's size or shape, but we can measure one more accurate and another not so accurate. This is what garys_2k means by clouds of probability.

I think that a particle's shape is determined by a 1-dimensional string that is vibrating at different frequencies with different tensions to the string. A.k.a String theory. But I won't get into that.
Paden Roder

they have mass though right? do they not have volume? or just not definate shape? and hows about desnity?

As an amateur theorist I take an interest in the size of atoms and particles. The size of both have been detected using various types of experiments, there is even an experiment for measuring the nucleus of atoms based on the average of thousands of X-rays.
Earlier experiments based on blocks of material produced atomic radii in physics and molar radii in chemistry. I used both to determine the volume and compared the results; there is a general agreement in about 90% of the elements.
I have also found a theoretical agreement between mass and volume of fundamental particles using arbitrary numbers.
The problem in grasping the reality of particles comes from our inability to visualise fields and our determination to see particles and atoms in terms of mass and/or energy. It is the field force(not the size or mass) that is always conserved.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are atomic particles and why are their size important?

Atomic particles are the smallest units that make up matter, including protons, neutrons, and electrons. Their size is important because it determines the properties and behavior of different materials and substances.

2. How do scientists measure the size of atomic particles?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, such as scattering experiments and particle accelerators, to measure the size of atomic particles. These methods involve observing the interactions between particles and analyzing the data to determine their size.

3. Can atomic particles be smaller than what we currently know?

Yes, it is possible that there are smaller subatomic particles that we have not yet discovered. As technology advances, scientists are able to probe deeper into the structure of matter and may uncover new particles and their sizes.

4. How do the sizes of atomic particles affect the laws of physics?

The size of atomic particles plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of matter and the laws of physics. For example, the size of electrons determines the strength of atomic bonds, while the size of protons and neutrons affects the stability of an atom.

5. Are there any practical applications for understanding the size of atomic particles?

Yes, understanding the size of atomic particles is essential in fields such as nanotechnology, materials science, and particle physics. It helps us develop new technologies and materials, and improve our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe.