Measuring the velocity of cosmic ray muons

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's progress in a worldwide undergraduate experiment to measure cosmic ray muons. They are currently in the process of writing a paper and are trying to interpret the data. The student has calculated the mean value for the time and is using the equations γ and V to analyze the data. They are concerned about their results and are seeking help to ensure the accuracy of their analysis.
Millenniumf

Homework Statement

I'm participating in a worldwide undergraduate-level experiment to measure cosmic ray muons. I've got the data, and am in the process of writing a paper (called a poster for some reason), which details the experiment, procedure, and results. Right now I'm trying to interpret the data. The mean value for the time is 1.59E-13 Julian days for the data set I'm using. Our detectors were set up 3.14 meters apart, and at an angle of 60 degrees.

Homework Equations

γ: t=t0/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
V=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted 1.59E-13 Julian days to seconds by multiplying that number by 86,400 and got 1.37376E-8 seconds. Then I took that value and divided the distance between the detectors by it: 3.14m/1.37E-8s=2.286E8 m/s. This is much lower than c, because of time dilation. Then I entered these numbers into γ: t=1.37376E-13/sqrt(1-2.286E8^2/3.0E8^2) and got 2.121E-8 which is *much* lower than c. Muons are supposed to be traveling at around 99% c, so what am I doing wrong? γ is supposed to compensate for time dilation, so I'm thinking I messed up something there. My analysis isn't the problem, because another student independently got the same number for his mean time.

I'm often stymied by forgetting or messing up something very simple or by writing down the wrong values . . . hope it's that and not something big like a fundamental misunderstanding of what it is we're doing.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear forum participant,

Thank you for sharing your progress and concerns with us. It seems like you are on the right track with your analysis, but there are a few things that may need to be addressed.

First, make sure that your units are consistent. In your attempt at a solution, you have used meters for distance and seconds for time, but in your equations you have used Julian days and meters for distance. This could lead to incorrect calculations.

Second, it is important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values for the speed of light and the distance between the detectors.

Finally, it may be helpful to discuss your results with your peers or a mentor to see if they have any insights or suggestions for your analysis. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can catch any mistakes or help identify areas for improvement.

Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged by any setbacks. Science is all about learning from our mistakes and constantly improving our understanding. Good luck with your paper!

1. What are cosmic ray muons and why is measuring their velocity important?

Cosmic ray muons are high-energy particles that constantly bombard the Earth's atmosphere, originating from sources such as supernovae and black holes. Measuring their velocity can provide valuable information about the sources and properties of these particles and their interactions with matter.

2. How is the velocity of cosmic ray muons measured?

The velocity of cosmic ray muons can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as time-of-flight measurements or tracking their path through a detector. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for the muons to travel a certain distance or the curvature of their path, respectively.

3. Can the velocity of cosmic ray muons change?

Yes, the velocity of cosmic ray muons can change as they travel through different materials or encounter other particles. This is due to factors such as energy loss through collisions and interactions with the Earth's magnetic field.

4. How do scientists account for the Earth's rotation when measuring the velocity of cosmic ray muons?

Scientists must take into account the Earth's rotation when measuring the velocity of cosmic ray muons. This can be done by using precise timing methods and accounting for the muons' direction of travel relative to the Earth's rotation.

5. What are some potential applications of measuring the velocity of cosmic ray muons?

Measuring the velocity of cosmic ray muons has a wide range of potential applications, such as in astrophysics research, particle physics experiments, and even in medical imaging. It can also help improve our understanding of the Earth's atmosphere and its interactions with high-energy particles.