Exploring the Dirac Equation: Positive & Negative Energy Solutions

What do you know about the gamma matrices? Can you use that information to simplify the equation and find solutions for u(p)? And then, what happens when you use the representation given for \Psi(x)? Can you see how the upper 2-component spinors satisfy the Schrödinger equation and the lower spinors vanish?
Fidelio
Hi!

Homework Statement

1. Substituting an ansatz [itex]\Psi(x)= u(p) e^{(-i/h) xp} [/itex] into the Dirac equation and using [itex]\{\gamma^i,\gamma^j\} = 2 g^{ij}[/itex], show that the Dirac equation has both positive-energy and negative-energy solutions. Which are the allowed values of energy?

2. Starting from the DE, and using [itex]\Psi(x) = e^{(1 /i \hbar)}(\psi_u(\vec{x}), \psi_l(\vec{x}))^T[/itex], show that at the non-relativistic limit, the upper 2-component spinors, ##\psi_u(\vec {x})##, for the positive-energy solutions fullfill the Schrödinger equation while the lower spinors, ##\psi_l(\vec{x})##, vanish. Use the Dirac-Pauli representation.

Homework Equations

Dirac equation (covariant form) [itex](i \hbar \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu - mc) \Psi(x) = 0 [/itex]
[itex] \gamma^i = \beta \alpha_i[/itex] and [itex]\gamma^0 = \beta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I would suggest that you start by doing what you were told to do! If you substitute [itex]u(p)e^{(-i/h)xp}[/itex] into the Dirac equation, what do you get?

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of particles with spin 1/2, such as electrons. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s and is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics.

2. What are positive and negative energy solutions in the Dirac equation?

In the Dirac equation, there are two sets of solutions - positive energy solutions and negative energy solutions. Positive energy solutions describe particles that are moving forward in time, while negative energy solutions describe particles moving backwards in time.

3. How does the Dirac equation reconcile with the principle of conservation of energy?

The Dirac equation allows for the existence of both positive and negative energy solutions, which may seem to contradict the principle of conservation of energy. However, it is important to note that the negative energy solutions are not physical states and cannot be observed. They are simply a mathematical construct that helps to explain the behavior of particles.

4. What is the significance of the Dirac equation in modern physics?

The Dirac equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and has had a significant impact on our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles. It has also led to the prediction and discovery of antimatter, which plays a crucial role in modern physics.

5. What are some applications of the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation has many applications in modern physics, including in the study of particle physics, quantum field theory, and quantum computing. It has also been used in the development of technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and semiconductor devices.