Power of D-Cell Batteries: Calculate & Understand Benefits/Risks

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two D-cell 1.5-V batteries connected in series and calculating resistance and power. The question then asks for the power increase if four D-cells were connected and the potential danger of this. The conclusion is reached that doubling the voltage will also double the current, resulting in a fourfold increase in power.
thisisfudd
Hi,

I have a pretty straightforward problem that I am screwing up on for unknown reasons. Basically, it's about two D-cell 1.5-V babtteries connected in series. The give the current and you calculate the resistance and power -- simple enough. But then they ask by what factor would the power increase if four D-cells were connected (and why this would be dangerous). I have no clue. I figured given the relationship between power and voltage that it would be 2, but they say it's 4.

But P=IV!

Physics news on Phys.org
if the resistance unchange, double the voltage will also double the current

ohhhh i see. cool, thanks

1. What is the power capacity of a D-cell battery?

The power capacity of a D-cell battery can vary depending on the brand and type, but on average it has a capacity of around 18,000 mAh (milliampere-hours). This means that it can supply a current of 18,000 milliamps for one hour.

2. How do I calculate the benefits of using D-cell batteries?

To calculate the benefits of using D-cell batteries, you can compare the cost and performance of using them versus alternative power sources such as rechargeable batteries or electricity. Consider factors such as longevity, convenience, and environmental impact.

3. What are the risks associated with using D-cell batteries?

The main risks associated with using D-cell batteries are potential leaks or spills of the battery's contents, which can be toxic and harmful to the environment. There is also a risk of explosion if the battery is damaged or exposed to extreme temperatures.

4. Can D-cell batteries be recycled?

Yes, D-cell batteries can be recycled. Most batteries contain toxic materials that can harm the environment if not disposed of properly, so it is important to recycle them. Many battery retailers and electronic stores offer recycling programs for batteries.

5. Are there any alternatives to using D-cell batteries?

Yes, there are alternatives to using D-cell batteries. Some options include rechargeable batteries, solar-powered devices, and devices that can be powered by electricity. It is important to consider the specific needs and uses of your devices to determine the most suitable power source.