Related Rate - Rate of The Change in Distance of Two Ships

In summary: Yes. I'm just confused as to how you can get dh/dt in there. My confusion comes form not understand implicit differentiation... \frac{dV}{dh} \frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{\pi }{{8}}h^2\frac{dh}{dt} = 20 \Rightarrow \left( {h = 10} \right) \Rightarrow \frac{dh}{dt} = \frac{{20 \cdot 8}}{\pi } = 5.09296\ldots \]
Astrum

Homework Statement

Ship A is 100 km west of ship B. Ship A is moving at 35 km/h (west), ship B is moving at 25 km/h (north). Find the rate of change of the distance between the two ships after 4 hours.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the distance between the two ships is shown by

[itex]a^{2}+b^{2}=c^{2}[/itex]

Am I right to assume:

[itex][\frac{ds_{a}}{dt}]^{2}+[\frac{ds_{b}}{dt}]^{2}=[\frac{ds_{c}}{dt}]^{2}[/itex]

So, I need to find the rate of change of C? After 4 hours, the ships are 260 km apart.

I need a helping hint.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Astrum said:

Homework Statement

Ship A is 100 km west of ship B. Ship A is moving at 35 km/h (west), ship B is moving at 25 km/h (north). Find the rate of change of the distance between the two ships after 4 hours.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the distance between the two ships is shown by

[itex]a^{2}+b^{2}=c^{2}[/itex]

Am I right to assume:

[itex][\frac{ds_{a}}{dt}]^{2}+[\frac{ds_{b}}{dt}]^{2}=[\frac{ds_{c}}{dt}]^{2}[/itex]

So, I need to find the rate of change of C? After 4 hours, the ships are 260 km apart.

I need a helping hint.

Can you write the distance apart as a function of the time t? Your derivative formula isn't correct.

Dick said:
Can you write the distance apart as a function of the time t? Your derivative formula isn't correct.

You mean like d=vt? I'm highly confused. I'm not sure how to relate the total distance C with d=vt.

Astrum said:
You mean like d=vt? I'm highly confused. I'm not sure how to relate the total distance C with d=vt.

Pick coordinates. Suppose A is at (0,0) at time t=0 and B is at (100,0). Where are they at another time? You figured out the distance at t=4. Just do it for any t.

at time t, they're at [itex]d_{a}=35t[/itex]

[itex]d_{b}=25t[/itex].

Astrum said:
at time t, they're at [itex]d_{a}=35t[/itex]

[itex]d_{b}=25t[/itex].

You can't describe locations in the plane with a single number. Use coordinates.

Dick said:
You can't describe locations in the plane with a single number. Use coordinates.

Ok, I'm not following. Let me try another example.

A pile of gravel is being poured from a belt at a rate of 20 m cubed per min. The base will always be half the height. How fast the the pile changing when h=10m?

So, you take the equation for the volume of a cone. take the derivative with respect to h. And we also have the change in volume with respect to time. How do we relate all this to time?

We have [itex]\frac{dV}{dh}=\frac{1}{4}\pi h^{2}[/itex]

And: [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}=20m^{3}/s[/itex]

Now what? We have these two derivatives. This is the part I don't understand.

Astrum said:
Ok, I'm not following. Let me try another example.

A pile of gravel is being poured from a belt at a rate of 20 m cubed per min. The base will always be half the height. How fast the the pile changing when h=10m?

So, you take the equation for the volume of a cone. take the derivative with respect to h. And we also have the change in volume with respect to time. How do we relate all this to time?

We have [itex]\frac{dV}{dh}=\frac{1}{4}\pi h^{2}[/itex]

And: [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}=20m^{3}/s[/itex]

Now what? We have these two derivatives. This is the part I don't understand.

Ok. How about using [itex]\frac{dV}{dh} \frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex]? That's the chain rule. You can use the same approach for the first one if you clearly define what a, b and c are.

Assume at the start that ship B is at a reference point.
At any time t, let a be distance of ship A from the reference point, and let b equal the distance of ship B from the reference point.

[itex]\[
a = 35t + 100,\quad b = 25t
\][/itex]

Now, let h be the distance between the two ships at any time t, so that, by pythagorean theorem,
[tex] \[
\begin{array}{l}
h^2 = a^2 + b^2 \\
h^2 = \left( {35t + 100} \right)^2 + \left( {25t} \right)^2 \\
\end{array}
\]
[/tex]
and using suitable steps,

[tex]
\[
h = 5\sqrt {74t^2 + 280t + 400}
\]
[/tex]

You should be able to understand, and then continue and finish the exercise from this.

Dick said:
Ok. How about using [itex]\frac{dV}{dh} \frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex]? That's the chain rule. You can use the same approach for the first one if you clearly define what a, b and c are.

[itex]\frac{dV}{dh} \frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{4}\pi h^{2}\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex] = 20

At this point we plug in 10 for h? so that means [itex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex]=.255?

Astrum said:
[itex]\frac{dV}{dh} \frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{4}\pi h^{2}\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex] = 20

At this point we plug in 10 for h? so that means [itex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex]=.255?

Sure.

Dick said:
Sure.

So that begs the question, WHY is this correct? I can't find anything to explain it clearly. I don't know why you just plug in dh/dt

Astrum, what are you asking in post #7? How fast is height, h changing when it is 10 meters?

Let me try.

b is base, r is radius, given base is half of height h. Radius is half of b.
[tex]
\[
\begin{array}{l}
{\rm }b = {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}h \\
{\rm }r = {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}b \\
\end{array}
\]

[/tex]

[tex]
\[
V = \frac{\pi }{{3 \cdot 8}}h^3
\]
[/tex]
V and h are functions of time. V is a function of h, but both of them are functions of time. That is why you use Chain Rule when you find derivative of the right-hand side.

note: may need to check my V result carefully in case arithmetic mistakes; but I believe they're good.
EDIT: Now the formatting in the post is not working. I'll try in the next post.

Last edited:
base b is half of height h,
radius is half of b,

[tex]\[
\begin{array}{l}
b = \frac{1}{2}h \\
r = \frac{1}{2}b \\
\end{array}
\]
[/tex]

[tex] \[
V = \frac{\pi }{{3 \cdot 8}}h^3
\]
[/tex]

Yes. I'm just confused as to how you can get dh/dt in there. My confusion comes form not understand implicit differentiation 100%.

Astrum said:
Yes. I'm just confused as to how you can get dh/dt in there. My confusion comes form not understand implicit differentiation 100%.

Implicit differentiation is unnecessary. You can start (or continue) with the formula for volume of the cone, and this is a function of height, h. You need a bit of substitution as I showed to put the expression in the form as I have.

THEN,
  1. Differentiate V with regard to t,
  2. Use Chain Rule to differentiate h with regard to t, because h is a function of t.

Astrum said:

Like I was saying in post 8, implicit differentiation is really just using the chain rule. Do you understand the chain rule?

symbolipoint said:
Implicit differentiation is unnecessary. You can start (or continue) with the formula for volume of the cone, and this is a function of height, h. You need a bit of substitution as I showed to put the expression in the form as I have.

THEN,
  1. Differentiate V with regard to t,
  2. Use Chain Rule to differentiate h with regard to t, because h is a function of t.

I am possibly unclear about what is and is not implicit differentiation. I have not reviewed it specifically, so I have learned (or relearned) how to find derivative without deciding if I am doing so "implicitly" or not.

Simply, V and h both are function of t; so one differentiates both sides of the formula with respect to t.

1. What is the related rate of change in distance of two ships?

The related rate of change in distance of two ships refers to how the distance between two ships changes over time. It is often used in navigation and maritime studies to track the movements of ships in relation to each other.

2. How is the related rate of change in distance of two ships calculated?

The related rate of change in distance of two ships is calculated by taking the derivative of the distance function with respect to time. This gives the rate at which the distance between the two ships is changing over time.

3. What factors can affect the related rate of change in distance of two ships?

The related rate of change in distance of two ships can be affected by various factors such as the speed and direction of the ships, ocean currents, wind speed and direction, and other environmental conditions. It can also be influenced by the navigational decisions and maneuvers made by the ship's crew.

4. How is the related rate of change in distance of two ships used in real-world applications?

The related rate of change in distance of two ships is used in real-world applications such as navigation, maritime safety, and collision avoidance. It is also used in oceanography and marine research to study the movements and interactions of ships in the ocean.

5. What are the limitations of using the related rate of change in distance of two ships?

One limitation of using the related rate of change in distance of two ships is that it assumes a constant speed and direction for both ships, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. It also does not take into account any sudden changes or external factors that may affect the distance between the ships. Additionally, it may not be accurate for long distances or in situations with multiple moving objects in the same area.