How much internal energy is produced in the battery

So just take the energy in (469.476 J) and subtract the energy out (24.8832 J) to get the internal energy produced in one charge - discharge cycle. In summary, the efficiency of the battery as an energy storage device is 5.31%, with 469.476 J of energy put into the battery and 24.8832 J of energy used. The internal energy produced in one charge - discharge cycle is 444.593 J.
abot
I do not know what to solve for...?

One recargable battery of mass 15g delivers to a cd player an average current of 1.80mA at 1.60 V for 2.4hours before the battery needs to be recharged. The recharger maintains a potential difference of 2.30v across the battery and delivers a charging current of 13.5mA for 4.20 hours. (a) what is the efficiency of the battery as an energy storage device? (b) How much internal energy is produced in the battery during one charge - discharge cycle?

it sounds confusing. I tried solving for P, power but I am not sure that what they want. eficciency? I don't get this :confused:

Thanks in advanced

Physics news on Phys.org
Double post

abot said:

One recargable battery of mass 15g delivers to a cd player an average current of 1.80mA at 1.60 V for 2.4hours before the battery needs to be recharged. The recharger maintains a potential difference of 2.30v across the battery and delivers a charging current of 13.5mA for 4.20 hours. (a) what is the efficiency of the battery as an energy storage device? (b) How much internal energy is produced in the battery during one charge - discharge cycle?

it sounds confusing. I tried solving for P, power but I am not sure that what they want. eficciency? I don't get this :confused:

Thanks in advanced
This is also posted at:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=69676

PF frowns on double posting.

AM

abot said:

As Andy said in the other thread of yours, efficiency is the amount in divided by the amount out.

amount out
E = IVt
E = (0.0018A)(1.6V)(2.4 hours)(3600 seconds/hour)
E = 24.8832 J

amount in
E = IVt
E = (0.0135A)(2.3V)(4.2 hours)(3600 seconds/hour)
E = 469.476 J

Divide the amount of power the battery provides by the amount of power put into the battery then multiply by 100 to get the efficiency in percent.

As for internal energy produced, I'm not exactly sure what that means. It's either asking for the amount of energy the battery releases, or the amount of energy wasted (energy in - energy out). I would guess it's for the amount of wasted energy.

1. How is internal energy produced in a battery?

Internal energy in a battery is produced through a chemical reaction between the positive and negative electrodes, which causes a flow of electrons and ions. This results in the transfer of energy from the chemical components of the battery to the electrical circuit.

2. What factors affect the amount of internal energy produced in a battery?

The amount of internal energy produced in a battery is influenced by various factors such as the type of chemical reaction, the materials used in the electrodes, the size and design of the battery, and the temperature of the environment. These factors can impact the efficiency and overall capacity of the battery to produce internal energy.

3. Can the internal energy produced in a battery be measured?

Yes, the internal energy produced in a battery can be measured using various methods such as calorimetry, voltage measurements, and current measurements. These techniques allow us to quantify the amount of energy produced by the battery and assess its performance.

4. How does the internal energy produced in a battery affect its lifespan?

The internal energy produced in a battery is directly related to its lifespan. As the battery discharges and produces energy, the chemical components undergo changes that can eventually lead to a decrease in its capacity to store and produce energy. This is known as the battery's cycle life and can vary depending on the type and quality of the battery.

5. Is the internal energy produced in a battery constant?

No, the internal energy produced in a battery is not constant. It can vary depending on the state of charge, temperature, and other external factors. As the battery discharges, the internal energy produced will decrease until it reaches a critically low level, at which point the battery will need to be recharged to restore its internal energy.