Two types of edge-triggered flip flop?

• Thread starter stug
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flip flop
In summary, the author discusses how the different flip-flops are used in CMOS and VHDL/Verilog and how they compare in terms of speed. He also provides a list of flip-flop types that are more suited for high-performance applications.
stug
I've lately been going through the Nand2Tetris course since I never had the chance to take anything like it in college, and in its chapter on sequential logic , it treats the D flip-flop as a fundamental component. I found that somewhat unsatisfying, so I went and started reading up on flip-flops and latches, and have found two seemingly analogous ways to make a positive-edge triggered flip-flop, which Wikipedia refers to as "classical" and "master-slave".

I was wondering if there was any reason that one gets used over the other (other than the fact that the "classical" version seems to employ fewer gates). Any insight would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
In CMOS, master slave is most common but implemented using inverters and transmission gates (for area and performance).
http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/alt_flip_flops/cmos_d_flip-flop.html

I've never gone through and traced the timing paths for the 2 gate level approaches to see if minimum clock pulse width, setup, hold, and propagation delay times are any different due to the architecture. You might also consider what it takes to implement a set and reset function.

The VAST majority of D flip-flops used in industry are Master Slave type, as linked to by meBigGuy. The only time the "classical" approach is used is in special circumstances such as in a comparator or in the sense-amplifier of a memory circuit.

The reason the transmission gate style is used is that it is much easier to verify its clocking relationship, so it is easier for a computer to place and route. The vast majority of digital logic these days is described using a high-level language (VHDL or Verilog) and then a computer program actually designs the circuit for you. That is why the author treats the D Flip-Flop as a fundamental brick. Unless you're pushing the edge of performance, most professional designers treat it the same way.

For highest speed using rail to rail swings, check out True Single Phase Clock-style flip-flops. For the maximum speed in a process, current-mode logic (CML) is used. It's work looking up these because they are interesting, and you're learning for fun, right?

1. What are the two types of edge-triggered flip flops?

The two types of edge-triggered flip flops are the positive edge-triggered flip flop and the negative edge-triggered flip flop.

2. What is the difference between a positive edge-triggered flip flop and a negative edge-triggered flip flop?

The main difference between the two types is the triggering edge. In a positive edge-triggered flip flop, the output changes on the rising edge of the clock signal, while in a negative edge-triggered flip flop, the output changes on the falling edge of the clock signal.

3. How do edge-triggered flip flops differ from level-triggered flip flops?

Edge-triggered flip flops only change their output when there is a change in the clock signal, while level-triggered flip flops continuously monitor the clock signal and can change their output at any time the clock signal is stable.

4. What are some practical applications of edge-triggered flip flops?

Edge-triggered flip flops are commonly used in digital circuits for storing data and synchronizing signals. They are also used in memory devices and in sequential logic circuits such as counters and shift registers.

5. Are there any limitations to using edge-triggered flip flops?

One limitation of edge-triggered flip flops is that they can only change their output on the triggering edge of the clock signal, so they may miss changes in the input signal if they occur between clock cycles. Additionally, they can be more complex to design and implement compared to level-triggered flip flops.