Coordination Number and Geometry

• Thread starter mathwurkz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses a sample problem in materials science involving calculating the minimum radius ratio for a coordination number of 8 in a cubic coordination geometry. The equations used to solve for the ratio involve the larger ion radius (R), smaller ion radius (r), and cube length edge (l). The first equation 2R + 2r = \sqrt{3}\ l comes from the diagonal of the cube, with the second expression l = 2R representing the length of the cube edge formed by the larger ions. The conversation ends with the understanding being clarified and gratitude expressed.
mathwurkz
I am trying to understand a sample problem in this text I have about materials science. The question is to calculate the minimum radius ration for a coordination number of 8. The coordination geometry is cubic. What I don't understand in this problem is one of the two equations they use to solve the for the ratio.

[tex]R[/tex] is the larger ion radius, [tex]r[/tex] is the smaller ion radius and [tex]l[/tex] is the cube length edge.

Now what I don't get is how the book comes up with this relationship.

[tex] 2R + 2r = \sqrt{3}\ l [/tex]

The second expression [tex] l = 2R [/tex], I understand since the two large ions are touching each other, their radius will make up the length of the cube edge. They substitute this equation in the other and solve for [tex]\frac{r}{R}[/tex] It's just that I don't understand where that first equation comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathwurkz said:
I am trying to understand a sample problem in this text I have about materials science. The question is to calculate the minimum radius ration for a coordination number of 8. The coordination geometry is cubic. What I don't understand in this problem is one of the two equations they use to solve the for the ratio.

[tex]R[/tex] is the larger ion radius, [tex]r[/tex] is the smaller ion radius and [tex]l[/tex] is the cube length edge.

Now what I don't get is how the book comes up with this relationship.

[tex] 2R + 2r = \sqrt{3}\ l [/tex]

The second expression [tex] l = 2R [/tex], I understand since the two large ions are touching each other, their radius will make up the length of the cube edge. They substitute this equation in the other and solve for [tex]\frac{r}{R}[/tex] It's just that I don't understand where that first equation comes from.

[tex] \sqrt{3}\ l [/tex] is the diagonal of the cube. Each corner is occupied by the larger ion, with the smaller ion fitting in the space between the large ions.

Ok. Great I understand it now. Thanks a lot OlderDan

What is coordination number in chemistry?

Coordination number is the number of atoms, ions, or molecules that are bonded to a central atom in a coordination compound. It is a measure of the number of bonds formed by the central atom.

How is coordination number determined?

Coordination number is determined by the number of bonds formed by the central atom. The number of bonds can be determined by counting the number of atoms or ions bonded to the central atom in a coordination compound.

How does coordination number affect the geometry of a molecule?

The coordination number of a molecule determines its geometry as it dictates the arrangement of atoms or ions around the central atom. Different coordination numbers lead to different molecular geometries such as linear, trigonal planar, tetrahedral, octahedral, etc.

What is the difference between coordination number and oxidation state?

Coordination number is a measure of the number of bonds formed by the central atom, while oxidation state is a measure of the number of electrons gained or lost by an atom in a compound. They are not directly related, but they can influence each other in certain cases.

How does coordination number affect the properties of a compound?

The coordination number of a compound can affect its physical and chemical properties. For example, compounds with higher coordination numbers tend to have higher melting and boiling points, and may exhibit different reactivity compared to compounds with lower coordination numbers.