Why Can Human Eyes Only See Visible Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses why our eyes can only see the visible wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum and if other animals or organisms can view other spectrums. It is mentioned that our eyes have evolved to detect this specific range of wavelengths, and that the intensity of the sun's radiation is peaked within this range. It is also noted that some animals, like the python and bee, can see other wavelengths outside of the visible spectrum. The conversation also touches on the structure of the eye and how it plays a role in limiting our ability to see other wavelengths.
Spastik_Relativity
This is quite homework but i did think about it whilst at school and i wasnt sure where to post it.

In the entire electromagnetic spectrum our eyes can only view the visible wavelengths of photons.

My teacher said this and it lead me to think why this is so.
I've breifly looked on the internet and haven't found anything in particular to help me out. So I've got two questions for anybody to answer.

Why can our eyes only see the visible wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum?

And, can other animals or organsims view the other spectrums?

Physics news on Phys.org
Our eyes can only detect light with wavelengths in the visible spectrum, otherwise it wouldn't be called visible light.

At the lower end (long wavelength) there is the infrared, which we cannot see, but the python can (I think).
At the other end (short wavelength) there is the ultra-violet which we cannot see, but the bee has an eye that can see it. Or it might be the other way around...

If you look at the intensity spectrum of the sun's radiation as a function of wavelength you'll see it's peaked around a wavelength interval which is exactly that interval wherein our eyes are sensitive. Apparantly our eyes have evolved in such a way as to pick this range of wavelengths, since it is probably most convenient for us humans.

thats interesting

so it is infact our eyes that make those certain wavelengths the 'visible' wavelngth and not the properties of the photons

Spastik_Relativity said:
thats interesting

so it is infact our eyes that make those certain wavelengths the 'visible' wavelngth and not the properties of the photons

If you mean by this that our eyes cause photons to be a certain wavelength then no, a given photon has a certain energy and therefore a certain wavelength. The point that others are making is that our eyes only "process" certain wavelength photons- the others result in no impulse to the brain. It's a lot like the "photo-electric" effect- only certain wavelengths (certain energies in terms of photons) will trigger an optic nerve in the retina.

Galileo said:
At the lower end (long wavelength) there is the infrared, which we cannot see, but the python can (I think).

Pit vipers, for example the rattlesnake. The pits are cavities with a heat sensitive lining. Works like a pinhole camera of sorts. The resolution isn't very good but they do seem to be able to direct a strike at warm blooded prey. I don't think any of the constrictors have pits.

Last edited:
If you mean by this that our eyes cause photons to be a certain wavelength then no, a given photon has a certain energy and therefore a certain wavelength. The point that others are making is that our eyes only "process" certain wavelength photons- the others result in no impulse to the brain.

sorry by my first statement i meant that its is that human eyes can only process the photons in the visible wavelength of the electromagnetic spectrum.

It's a lot like the "photo-electric" effect- only certain wavelengths (certain energies in terms of photons) will trigger an optic nerve in the retina.

thats an interesting point. I am not a biologist and frankly i have no idea about the structure of the eye but does the "make-up" of our eyes restricting the ability to view other wavelengths

What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a form of energy that is emitted and absorbed by charged particles, such as electrons. It includes a broad range of wavelengths, from radio waves to gamma rays. It can travel through a vacuum and does not require a medium to propagate.

How is electromagnetic radiation created?

Electromagnetic radiation is created when charged particles, such as electrons, undergo acceleration. This can occur naturally, such as in the case of sunlight or lightning, or it can be artificially produced, such as in the case of X-rays or microwaves.

What are the properties of electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation has several key properties, including wavelength, frequency, and energy. These properties determine the type of radiation and how it interacts with matter. Other properties include polarization, phase, and propagation direction.

What are the effects of electromagnetic radiation on living organisms?

Electromagnetic radiation can have both positive and negative effects on living organisms. Some forms, such as visible light, are essential for life and play important roles in processes like photosynthesis. However, high levels of certain types of radiation, such as ultraviolet and ionizing radiation, can be harmful and even potentially cause cancer.

How is electromagnetic radiation used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic radiation has many practical applications in everyday life. Some common examples include radio and television broadcasting, cell phone communication, medical imaging technologies (X-rays, MRI), and cooking food with microwaves. It is also used in scientific research, such as studying the structure of molecules and detecting distant objects in space.