HP Laptop battery problem, anyone know why?

In summary: I sincerely doubt it. Usually if a battery comes into that state, it is because of physical changes within the battery like different cells becoming inactive or corroded or something; I'm no chemical engineer (EE actually ), but to my knowledge if your battery is that far along generally only companies that have the proper machinery to refurbish batteries can fix that. My laptop has done exactly this.
chingkui
Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion zv5000 for about 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. Lately, the battery just die suddenly. I can use the laptop if I connect it with AC power, but I just run a test, while the power meter show that the battery is charged to 100%, when I unplug the power cord and let it run on the battery power, the laptop shutdown without warning within 5 minutes. All along, I was checking the power meter, and the power meter actually show that the battery is 97% full at the time it shut down itself. I could only reboot the laptop with the AC power attach, and after rebooting, when I check the battery, it shows that there is only 3% left. it is even more puzzling than that: I tried to test how long the battery takes to charge up, and I see the battery slowly charged from 3 % to 4%, then 5% to 6%, at that point, the battery power meter suddenly report the battery is charged to 100%. Is this problem familiar to anyone? Is this solved if I replace my battery with a new one? or is it a bigger problem than battery (e.g. charger)?
The battery is a Li-ion battery.
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've had similar issues with old batteries which I've interpreted as being "near death". Replaced, if the problem has come over a period of time would think it's old age (the symptoms are identical to what I've had) ... unless the battery shows some damage or has been subjected to extreme conditions or something like that. I think Li-ion battery life is "typically" somewhat under 2 years, and has been such at least with my laptops.

I have heard of this problem too.

mine is a year old, so I guess i can look forward to this problem soon.

I spent many years in wireless with NiCd and Li batteries. We used to do a trick with the NiCd. We would put a taillight on the connections to drain the batter down to nothing because it was a memory issue...or a cell that went bad. Do you think it might work to save a laptop battery?

I have an HP Pavilion zv5000 for about 1 1/2 to 2 yrs. Lately, the battery just die suddenly. I can use the laptop if I connect it with AC power, but I just run a test, while the power meter show that the battery is charged to 100%, when I unplug the power cord and let it run on the battery power, the laptop shutdown without warning within 5 minutes. All along, I was checking the power meter, and the power meter actually show that the battery is 97% full at the time it shut down itself. I could only reboot the laptop with the AC power attach, and after rebooting, when I check the battery, it shows that there is only 3% left. it is even more puzzling than that: I tried to test how long the battery takes to charge up, and I see the battery slowly charged from 3 % to 4%, then 5% to 6%, at that point, the battery power meter suddenly report the battery is charged to 100%. Is this problem familiar to anyone? Is this solved if I replace my battery with a new one? or is it a bigger problem than battery (e.g. charger)?
The battery is a Li-ion battery.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I sincerely doubt it. Usually if a battery comes into that state, it is because of physical changes within the battery like different cells becoming inactive or corroded or something; I'm no chemical engineer (EE actually ), but to my knowledge if your battery is that far along generally only companies that have the proper machinery to refurbish batteries can fix that.

My laptop has done exactly this. It is about a year and a half old and the battery is now reporting as "damaged, 40.6% life remaining". So it's down to only being able to hold 40% of it's original capacity. Not good.

Especially now as it's getting worse and can't even run the laptop for more than a few minutes.

Looks like I need a new battery for about £45.00.

The problem is, one or more of the cells in the battery pack have died. This could be due to a number of failure modes. Solution: replace the battery pack and recycle the old one. You can have batteries rebuilt but its usually not worth the hassle.

cfrompcola said:
I spent many years in wireless with NiCd and Li batteries. We used to do a trick with the NiCd. We would put a taillight on the connections to drain the batter down to nothing because it was a memory issue...or a cell that went bad. Do you think it might work to save a laptop battery?

Absolutely not. Deep discharging LiIon batteries kills them. Nickle-Cadmium and Lithium batteries have two very very different chemistries.

I have similar problems with children, which I call the "near death". Replace you think of when the problem would come over age (the symptoms are identical to what I had) ... when the battery is damaged or exposed to extreme conditions or something. I think the Li-ion is "generally 'a bit less than 2 years and at least with my laptop.

Cosmic rays, solar flares, mayan prophesies, its all the same. Just buy a new battery.

1. Why is my HP laptop battery draining quickly?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possible explanation is that the battery itself is old and needs to be replaced. Another reason could be that there are too many programs running in the background, consuming a lot of power. Additionally, using certain settings like high screen brightness, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth can also drain the battery faster.

2. How long should an HP laptop battery last?

The lifespan of an HP laptop battery depends on several factors such as usage, charging habits, and environmental conditions. On average, a laptop battery should last for 2-4 years before needing to be replaced. However, this can vary based on individual usage patterns.

3. Can I replace my HP laptop battery myself?

Yes, you can replace your HP laptop battery yourself. However, it is recommended to get it replaced by a professional technician to ensure proper installation and avoid any damage to your laptop.

4. How do I know if my HP laptop battery needs to be replaced?

If your laptop battery is not holding a charge for a significant amount of time, it is a sign that it needs to be replaced. Additionally, if you notice any physical damage to the battery, such as cracks or leaks, it should be replaced immediately.

5. Is it normal for my HP laptop battery to get hot?

It is common for laptop batteries to get slightly warm during use. However, if the battery is getting excessively hot, it could be a sign of a problem. It is recommended to get it checked by a professional to avoid any potential safety hazards.