Getting electricity from water tap

In summary, the speaker has an old water boiler in their bathroom that is heated with electricity. The heater was replaced with a new one a few months ago and recently they experienced an electrical shock while using the water tap. They suspect that the water pipes may not be properly grounded and seek advice on how to fix the issue. Other posters suggest checking the ground connections and possibly installing a GFCI in the power source for the heater circuit. It is also mentioned that in the US, bathroom electrical fixtures are required to have a ground fault interrupter.
vabamyyr
i have a water boiler in my bathroom, which is heated with electricity. Its quite old boiler(10 years) and its heater has been replaced with a new one about 3-4 months ago. Few days ago i had an water pipe accident so i had to turn water down and so i turned my boiler off. When the plummer fixed the pipe i switched the boiler on again. And when i turned water tap to wash my hands i experienced an electrical shock. First i didnt believe it but then i wanted to be sure and touched the water tap again and I am sure i experienced electricity and it wasnt pleasant. It seems like the only time i can get electricity is when the water is flowing. Now i can't figure out why it is happening and I am not too keen to use the water tap in my bathroom. Can anyone explain and give some advice?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should make sure your water pipes have a good ground. Water pipes are sometimes used as a safety ground for electrical systems. If the pipes are not grounded as thought and there is current leakage from the heating elements, the pipes become conductors to you instead of ground.

Do you experience any discomfort while urinating? :eek:

Seriously, though... don't touch it until it's sorted out. You could get much worse than a tingle in your fingers.

You should do at least two things about this, IMO. 1) Check and fix the grounding for the new electrical heater circuit. And 2) install a GFCI in series with the power source for the heater circuit. The GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) has a resettable fuse switch that will open the circuit if there is a ground fault where some of the primary power starts to return to ground instead of staying in the normal hot-neutral path.

I'm not familiar with the typical electrical installation codes and grounding in Estonia, but as other posters have suggested, you need to have the integrity of your ground connections checked, and the new heater circuit needs to be checked to be sure that its ground connections have been made correctly.

It may be that the plumber replaced a section of metal pipe with plastic pipe. If so the plastic section should be `bridged' with a bare bonding wire.
In the US (with some exceptions) all bathroom electrical fixtures must have a "ground fault interrupter" on their power source. A water heater's current requirement may not be met by a standard wall outlet, and in the US would be served by a combination circuit breaker/GFCI in the power distribution panel.

1. How can electricity be generated from a water tap?

Electricity can be generated from a water tap through a process called hydroelectric power. This involves using the kinetic energy of flowing water to turn a turbine, which then spins a generator to produce electricity.

2. What materials are needed to generate electricity from a water tap?

The materials needed for generating electricity from a water tap include a turbine, a generator, and a water source. Additional components such as pipes, valves, and control systems may also be necessary for the system to function effectively.

3. Is it possible to generate electricity from any type of water tap?

No, not all types of water taps have the necessary flow and pressure to generate electricity. Generally, hydroelectric power is most efficient when the water source has a high elevation and a large amount of flow, such as a dam or waterfall.

4. What are the advantages of generating electricity from a water tap?

There are several advantages to generating electricity from a water tap. It is a renewable energy source, meaning it will not run out like fossil fuels. It also produces minimal pollution and can provide a consistent, reliable source of electricity.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to generating electricity from a water tap?

One potential drawback is the initial cost of building a hydroelectric power plant. It can also have an impact on the surrounding environment and wildlife. Maintenance and potential disruptions in the water supply can also be challenges for this type of electricity generation.