Why is every finite Integral Domain a field?

In summary, the conversation discusses finite integral domains and whether they are fields. It is proven that every finite integral domain is also a field. The theorem is generalized to include quotient rings of the form k[X]/(f) where k is a field and f is irreducible in k[X]. It is also mentioned that Wedderburn's theorem on division rings is a stronger result on finite division rings being commutative and therefore any finite domain being a field. Another generalization is that if an integral domain contains a field and is a finite dimensional vector space over it, then it is also a field.
calvino
Any explanation would be great. Also, are there any examples of finite Integral domains that aren't fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
Counting!

How many nonzero multiples does a nonzero element r have? How many nonzero elements are there in your domain?

calvino said:
Also, are there any examples of finite Integral domains that aren't fields?

Nope.

Maybe you wanted an example of an integral domain with an infinite number of elements that isn't a field? What infinite integral domains do you know?!?

hurkyls approach is to take a non zero element x and consider the multiplication map from the domain to itself taking y to xy. since it is a domain, the map is injective and thus since it is finite any injective map is surjective, so it has 1 in its oimage, so there is some y suich that xy = 1, hence x is a invertible and we have a field.

a different proof is the following in the case of Z/(p): if n is non zero in Z/(p) then n and po are relativelt porime, so there are integers r,s, such that nr + ps = 1, so r is the inverse of n mod p.

this proof generalizes to quotient rings of form k[X]/(f), where k is a field, and f is irreducible in k[X], even though these rings are not always finite.

i.e. such a quotient is a domain iff it is a field.

I believe there is a stronger and harder result that relies on the fact that finite division rings are commutative, thus any finite domain (which is a division ring) is field without assuming comutativity.

Here is proof. I had to edit somewhat because some of the mathematical symbols wouldn't copy into this window. You should be able to understand however. If you would like, I could email you the entire section in pdf form. (It's on polynomials over finite fields.)

Theorem 6.20 Every finite integral domain is a field.

Proof Let D be a finite integral domain (which is commutative by definition). We must show that 1 is in D, and that every nonzero a in D has a multiplicative inverse that is also in D. In other words, we must show that for every nonzero a in D there exists b in D such that ab = 1 is in D. Let {x_1, . . . , x_n} denote all the elements of D, and consider the set {ax_1, . . . , ax_n} where a is in D and a ≠ 0. If ax_i = ax_j for i ≠ j, then a(x_i - x_j) = 0 which (since D has no zero divisors) implies that x_i = x_j, contradicting the assumption that i ≠ j. Thus ax_1, . . . , ax_n are all distinct. Since D contains n elements, it follows that in fact we have D = {ax_1, . . . , ax_n}. In other words, every y in D can be written in the form ax_i = x_ia for some i = 1, . . . , n. In particular, we must have a = ax_i_0 for some i_0 = 1, . . . , n. Then for any y = x_ia in D we have

yx_i_0 = (x_ia)x_i_0 = x_i(ax_i_0) = x_ia = y

so that x_i_0 may be taken as the identity element 1 in D. Finally, since we have now shown that 1 is in D, it follows that 1 = ax_j for some particular j = 1, . . . , n. Defining b = x_j yields 1 = ab and completes the proof. ˙

Corollary Z_n is a field if and only if n is prime.

This last corollary depends on Theorem: The ring Z_n is an integral domain if and only if n is prime.

I won't take up space with the proof.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
But an integral domain has unity by definition. So since R has unity, 1 is in R, so since aR contains all n element of R, R=aR, and 1 must be in aR too right? So why do you have to use yx_i_0 = (x_ia)x_i_0 = x_i(ax_i_0) = x_ia = y ?

I believe there is a stronger and harder result that relies on the fact that finite division rings are commutative, thus any finite domain (which is a division ring) is field without assuming comutativity.

Yep! Wedderburn's theorem on Division rings. It's a wee bit more complicated. A more elementary generalization would be that if an integral domain R contains a field K, and is a finite dimensional vector space over it, then it too is a field (this includes MathWonk's examples as well). It's a straightforward generalization.

1. What is an Integral Domain?

An Integral Domain is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements with addition and multiplication operations defined on them. It is a commutative ring with no zero divisors, meaning that the product of any two non-zero elements is always non-zero.

2. Why is every finite Integral Domain a field?

Every finite Integral Domain is a field because it satisfies the additional property of having a multiplicative inverse for every non-zero element. In other words, every element in a finite Integral Domain has a corresponding element that, when multiplied together, results in the identity element (usually denoted as 1).

3. How does the property of having no zero divisors relate to being a field?

The property of having no zero divisors is a necessary condition for a mathematical structure to be a field. This is because if a field has zero divisors, it cannot have a multiplicative inverse for every non-zero element, which is a defining characteristic of a field.

4. Can you give an example of a finite Integral Domain that is not a field?

Yes, the set of integers under regular addition and multiplication is a finite Integral Domain but is not a field. This is because it does not have a multiplicative inverse for every non-zero element. For example, 2 does not have an inverse in this set since there is no integer that, when multiplied by 2, results in 1.

5. What is the significance of every finite Integral Domain being a field?

The fact that every finite Integral Domain is a field is significant because it allows for simplification and generalization of mathematical concepts and theorems. This property also has many practical applications in areas such as coding theory and cryptography.