Most suited US university for PhD in Theoretical High Energy Physics?

In summary, the speaker's plan is to apply for a PhD in the US, with a research interest in theoretical high energy physics specifically in String/GTR/Cosmology. They have a MSc from IIT Kanpur and plan to take the subject GRE this year. They have no publications but are currently working on a project related to their research interest. They are unsure of which universities to apply to and are looking for information on schools that accept a larger number of international students. They also mention that all PhD programs in the US are funded and recommend www.physicsgre.com for more information on the application process.
shinjinibsu
My plan is to apply for PhD in the US, and my research interest is in theoretical high energy physics. I'm not interested in computation and want to do formal theory, something to do with Srting/GTR/Cosmology. I have gotten my MSc (2-yr) from IIT Kanpur with CPI 7.6/10.0. I'm going to be taking subject GRE this year, and clear the cut-offs everywhere with the general GRE and TOEFL scores. I have no publications, and am currently working as a project assistant in IISc, Bangalore. The topic of the project is consistent with my research interest. My MSc thesis project was mainly on data analysis of Type Ia supernova light curves. Now I'm wondering what range (according to rank) of universities I should apply to. I'll be applying to at most 7-8 places. Also, if there is any information regarding which universities accept a comparatively larger number of international students, or any students in general, please let me know where to find that information. I will need full financial assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are the top ranking universities for PhD in Theoretical High Energy Physics?

According to US News, the top 5 universities for PhD in Theoretical High Energy Physics are: Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of Chicago, Harvard University, and California Institute of Technology (Caltech).

2. How do I determine which university is the most suited for my research interests in Theoretical High Energy Physics?

It is important to research and compare the faculty and research areas of each university's physics department. Look for professors who are conducting research in your specific area of interest and reach out to them to learn more about their work and the resources available at their university.

3. Are there any specific criteria I should consider when choosing a university for PhD in Theoretical High Energy Physics?

Some important factors to consider include the strength and reputation of the physics department, available research opportunities, funding and financial support, and location. It is also beneficial to look into the success rates of graduates from the program and their post-graduation career paths.

4. Can international students apply for PhD programs in Theoretical High Energy Physics in the US?

Yes, international students are welcome to apply for PhD programs in Theoretical High Energy Physics in the US. However, it is important to check the specific requirements and application process for each university, as they may vary for international applicants.

5. Are there any other resources I can use to help me choose the right university for my PhD in Theoretical High Energy Physics?

Yes, besides researching and comparing universities, you can also attend graduate school fairs, speak with current students or alumni of the programs, and read reviews and rankings from reputable sources such as US News and World Report or Times Higher Education.