The correct engineering degree

In summary, the speaker is a 19-year-old undergraduate college student interested in robotics. They are planning to transfer to either CalPoly or Cal State LB after community college and double major in computer science and engineering. They are seeking advice on which combination of majors would be the best for pursuing a career in robotics. Some options include mechatronics, robotic engineering, computer science, electronic engineering, and computer engineering. The speaker values their interest and enjoyment in robotics over employment opportunities or high income. They also welcome opinions from individuals with robotics experience and ask if anyone has attended these universities.
younginprogres
Hello I am a 19 year old undergraduate college student that is interested in the field of robotics but I’m not sure in what direction to go in. I am planning to transfer to either CalPoly or Cal State LB after community college depending on the program that offers the best courses. Computer science and Engineering are the only courses my community college offers that to my understanding are related to robotics. I am planning to double major, would these two programs help me go in the right path to robotics or am I missing something? Having more opportunities for employment or high income is not as important to me, what's important to me is enjoying what i do because it is my interest and learning everything i need to know about robots for example; Artificial Intelligence, designing, building, programming, controlling, repairing, etc. I am planning to take electives like mathematics and physics, i read through plenty of forums that recommend different options but which one would be the right combination of two majors or just one major that provides all robotics technology.

mechatronics or robotic engineering?
computer science/electronic engineering,
computer science/mechanical engineering,
computer science/robotic engineering,
computer science/computer engineering
robotic engineering/computer engineering,
robotic engineering/mechatronics
mechatronics/computer science
mechatronics/computer engineering
computer engineering/electronic engineering

Anyone with robotics experience feel free to leave your opinions. Has anyone attended these universities?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
CalPoly is very good for engineering. I would choose robotic engineering/mechatronics because mechatronics includes some computer science/engineering. You really can't go wrong with any of those choices though.

What is the difference between a Bachelor's and Master's degree in engineering?

A Bachelor's degree in engineering is typically a four-year undergraduate program that provides a broad foundation in engineering principles and techniques. A Master's degree in engineering is a graduate-level program that allows students to specialize in a specific area of engineering and conduct research in their chosen field.

What are the different types of engineering degrees?

There are many different types of engineering degrees, including mechanical, electrical, chemical, civil, and computer engineering. Each type focuses on a specific area of technology and requires a unique set of skills and knowledge.

Is it better to get a degree in a specific type of engineering or a general engineering degree?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. A specific type of engineering degree can provide in-depth knowledge and skills in a particular field, while a general engineering degree offers a broader range of knowledge and may be more versatile in terms of job opportunities.

What are the prerequisites for an engineering degree program?

The prerequisites for an engineering degree program may vary depending on the specific type of engineering and university. However, most programs require a strong background in math and science, including courses in calculus, physics, and chemistry.

What can I do with an engineering degree?

An engineering degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, technology, and more. Some common job titles for engineering graduates include engineer, project manager, research scientist, and consultant.