Engineering undergrad -> astrophysics PhD

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on pursuing a PhD in astrophysics as an undergraduate in that field is not available to them. They are considering two options - civil engineering and informatics engineering - and are wondering which one would be a better choice for a graduate career in astrophysics. They are also seeking personal experiences and advice on this matter.
Segala
Hi people!

My long-time goal is to pursue a PhD in astrophysics. Since an undergraduate in astrophysics is not available to me, I'm looking for alternatives. There are two cool engineering programs at hand: one in civil engineering, the other one in informatics engineering. Both are interesting but I wonder what is a better option as far as a graduate career in astrophysics is concerned.

What do you think? Any personal experience? Thanks for any advice!
Seg.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Pick a school where you want to do your graduate school in astrophysics.

2. Look at the courses/syllabus, and what they require.

3. Do you think you are equipped to understand and do well in such a program?

Also, read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

Dear ZapperZ,
thanks for your advice. But I want to rephrase my post.

Because I have an undergrad in music, no physics/astrophysics graduate department is open to receive my application. I'm quite confident in my background, to include maths, physics and astrophysics. However, I'm convinced that, without an undergrad in science/engineering I will not get any far.

There are, however, only two options available to me at this moment: civil or informatics engineering. So, my question is actually about what degree will be more useful (specially because I'm quite ignorant about engineering). The civil eng. curriculum has a heavy mechanics component, to include fluid mechanics and dynamics. On the other hand, the informatic curriculum lies on programming. Since my ultimate goal is somewhere in the field of computational fluid dynamics applied to astrophysics, I'm really confused.

Any thoughts?
Seg.

My thoughts is you will be woefully unprepared for an astrophysics Ph.D. with a BS in engineering. The mathematical rigor will eat you alive. I say this as an engineer who sometimes works with astrophysicists.

Hello Seg,

As a scientist with a background in astrophysics, I can say that both civil engineering and informatics engineering can be valuable paths towards a PhD in astrophysics. While a background in astrophysics may seem like the most direct route, many successful astrophysicists come from a variety of backgrounds, including engineering.

Both civil engineering and informatics engineering can provide you with valuable skills that can be applied in the field of astrophysics. Civil engineering, for example, can provide you with a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving, which are essential skills in astrophysics research. Informatics engineering, on the other hand, can give you a strong understanding of computer programming and data analysis, which are also crucial in astrophysics.

Ultimately, the decision between the two programs will depend on your personal interests and strengths. I would recommend researching the specific courses and opportunities within each program to see which aligns more closely with your goals in astrophysics.

In terms of personal experience, I have seen successful astrophysicists come from a variety of backgrounds, including engineering. My advice would be to choose the program that you are most passionate about and that will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to excel in your future astrophysics studies.

Best of luck in your decision-making process and in your pursuit of a PhD in astrophysics!

1. What is the difference between an engineering undergraduate degree and an astrophysics PhD?

An engineering undergraduate degree focuses on the practical application of mathematics and science principles to design and build structures, machines, and systems. An astrophysics PhD, on the other hand, focuses on the study of the physical and chemical processes that govern the universe, such as the properties of celestial bodies and the evolution of the cosmos. While engineering and astrophysics both involve math and science, they have different approaches and applications.

2. Can an engineering undergraduate degree prepare me for an astrophysics PhD program?

Yes, an engineering undergraduate degree can provide a strong foundation for an astrophysics PhD program. Engineering degrees often include coursework in physics, math, and computer science, which are all essential for astrophysics. In addition, engineering students develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are valuable in the field of astrophysics.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in astronomy for an astrophysics PhD?

While a background in astronomy can be helpful for an astrophysics PhD, it is not a requirement. Many astrophysics PhD programs accept students from a variety of backgrounds, including engineering. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and physics before pursuing an astrophysics PhD.

4. What kind of research opportunities are available for engineering undergraduates interested in astrophysics?

There are many research opportunities available for engineering undergraduates interested in astrophysics. Some universities have research programs specifically for undergraduates, and there are also internships and summer programs at national laboratories and observatories. Additionally, engineering undergraduates can work with professors in their department who specialize in astrophysics research.

5. What career options are available for someone with an engineering undergraduate degree and an astrophysics PhD?

With an engineering undergraduate degree and an astrophysics PhD, there are a variety of career options available. Some possible careers include research positions at universities, national laboratories, or observatories, as well as engineering roles at aerospace or defense companies. Other options may include teaching at the university level or working in a government agency, such as NASA or the National Science Foundation.