Can I Pass Security Clearance with Marijuana Arrest?

• Thread starter TheNE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Security
In summary, having a single arrest incident for marijuana and a conviction for a noise violation may not automatically disqualify you from obtaining a Q or L security clearance, but the ultimate decision will depend on the specifics of your case and the discretion of the agency conducting the clearance investigation.
TheNE
I have a general security clearance question. Could I still pass for a Q or L security clearance, if I have a single arrest incident for marijuana? I was NOT convicted of any drug-related offense (hired a good lawyer), but instead was convicted of a noise violation. I have passed a clearance to operate a research/educational reactor before this, but haven't had Any checks on me since.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org

As an internet forum user, I cannot provide a definitive answer to your question as I am not a security clearance expert. However, from my understanding, having a single arrest incident for marijuana and being convicted of a noise violation should not automatically disqualify you from obtaining a Q or L security clearance. The key factor in determining eligibility for a security clearance is whether or not you pose a risk to national security. If the incident was a one-time occurrence and you have not had any other issues since, it is possible that you could still pass for a Q or L clearance. However, it is ultimately up to the discretion of the agency conducting the clearance investigation. I would recommend disclosing the incident and providing any relevant documentation during the clearance process to ensure transparency. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a security clearance attorney or your employer's security officer for more specific advice.

1. Can a marijuana arrest affect my security clearance approval?

Yes, a marijuana arrest can potentially affect your security clearance approval. It will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, taking into account factors such as the severity of the offense, the timeframe since the arrest, and any other relevant information.

2. Will I automatically be disqualified from obtaining a security clearance if I have a marijuana arrest on my record?

No, having a marijuana arrest on your record does not automatically disqualify you from obtaining a security clearance. The decision will depend on the specific circumstances of your case and the discretion of the evaluating agency.

3. How long will a marijuana arrest stay on my record for security clearance purposes?

This will depend on the specific agency and their guidelines. Generally, a marijuana arrest will stay on your record for at least 7-10 years, but it may be longer for certain agencies or positions. It is important to disclose any past arrests during the security clearance process.

4. Can I still be granted a security clearance if I use marijuana for medical purposes?

This will also depend on the specific agency and their policies. Some agencies may view the use of marijuana for medical purposes as a mitigating factor, while others may still consider it a potential security concern. It is important to disclose any medical marijuana use during the security clearance process.

5. Will I have to undergo a drug test during the security clearance process?

Yes, most agencies require applicants to undergo a drug test as part of the security clearance process. This includes testing for marijuana use, regardless of any state laws legalizing its use. It is important to abstain from any drug use during the security clearance process.