Is there any free burnup code

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of free burnup codes and the question of requirements for such codes. The speaker mentions Serpent as a potential option, but notes that it has a restricted license. The conversation also clarifies the difference between depletion codes and core simulators in regards to burnup calculations.
googlefans
hello,every body ,I want to know is there any any free burnup code? thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
The short answer is "it depends". What are your requirements?
i.e. Serpent is free/gratis, uses open source graphics library, provides source code, but has a restricted licence.

Likes 1 person
googlefans said:
hello,every body ,I want to know is there any any free burnup code? thank you
One can calculate burnup, simply from power density and fuel geometry. Is one referring to a depletion code or core simulator?

Astronuc said:
One can calculate burnup, simply from power density and fuel geometry. Is one referring to a depletion code or core simulator?
you are right , I mean depletion code

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Yes, there are several free burnup codes available for use. These include ORIGEN, MONTEBURNS, and SAVIORT. These codes can be used for nuclear reactor analysis and fuel depletion calculations. However, it is important to note that the accuracy and capabilities of these codes may vary, so it is important to thoroughly research and evaluate the code before use.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further inquiries, please feel free to ask.

Best,

1. What is a burnup code and how is it used?

A burnup code is a computer program that simulates the depletion of nuclear fuel over time. It takes into account factors such as neutron reactions, fission, and decay to calculate the changes in composition and energy of the fuel. This information is important for predicting the performance and safety of nuclear reactors.

2. Are there any free burnup codes available?

Yes, there are several free burnup codes available for use. These include the SCALE code from the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, the ORIGEN code from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and the DANCO code from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. These codes are widely used and have been validated through extensive testing.

3. How do free burnup codes compare to commercial ones?

Free burnup codes can provide similar accuracy and functionality as commercial codes. However, commercial codes may have more advanced features and user support. It is important to carefully evaluate the capabilities and limitations of both types of codes before choosing one for a specific application.

4. Can free burnup codes be used for all types of nuclear fuel?

In general, free burnup codes can be used for a wide range of nuclear fuels, including uranium, plutonium, and thorium. However, some codes may have limitations in terms of fuel types, reactor types, or operating conditions. It is important to consult the documentation and developers of the code to ensure it is suitable for the specific fuel being analyzed.

5. How can I obtain a free burnup code?

Most free burnup codes are available for download from the websites of the organizations that developed them. However, some codes may require registration or approval before use. It is also important to check for any licensing or usage restrictions that may apply.