Would it be possible to build a model tokamak

In summary: I was just wondering if it would be possible to create a swirling plasma in an acrylic tube kind of like the arc reactor in iron man. I'm not talking about anything close to the temperatures or pressures required for fusion just kind of a demo piece to show the general idea.I don't think it would be possible to generate a plasma in an acrylic tube. You would need to heat the gas to high temperatures to get much of a plasma - a completely dissociated gas in the form of nuclei and free electrons. Additionally, building a tokamak is not a trivial undertaking, and is restricted under federal and state laws governing the production of radiation sources.
Warpspeed13
Would it be possible to just get a swirling plasma in an acrylic tube kind of like the arc reactor in iron man? I'm not talking about anything close to the temperatures or pressures required for fusion just kind of a demo piece to show the general idea.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Warpspeed13 said:
Would it be possible to just get a swirling plasma in an acrylic tube kind of like the arc reactor in iron man? I'm not talking about anything close to the temperatures or pressures required for fusion just kind of a demo piece to show the general idea.
One can buy glass tubes filled with gases, e.g., hydrogen, for electrical discharges, i.e., like fluorescent tubes. One passes a current through the tube at sufficiently high voltage to ionize or excite the gas and obtains an emission spectrum.

See the lamp demonstrated here -
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hyde.html#c4

One would need to heat the gas to high temperatures to get much of a plasma - a completely dissociated gas in the form of nuclei and free electrons.

It however would not demonstrate fusion.

The easiest reactions for fusion are the d+t and d+d reaction. d+t fusion produces a 14.1 MeV neutron, and the d+d reaction generates a 2.45 MeV neutron in about 50% of the reactions, so that requires special protection.

Building a tokamak is not a trivial undertaking, and is restricted under federal and state laws governing the production of radiation sources.

Ya I just wanted to demonstrate how the gasses swirled and the basic concept not generate fusion energy. Also where can you find those laws I tried googling it for a school report a while back and couldn't find anything approaching an official set of rules.

We'll other than the basics of no radioactive materials over x amount and refining / possessing u-235/Pu-239 is a big no no

Federal Laws pertaining to radiation and nuclear materials can be found in Chapter 10 of the Code of Federal Regulations (10 CFR).

http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/regulatory/rulemaking/potential-rulemaking/opt-revise/faqs.html

Regulation of nuclear materials.
http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/radiation/protects-you/reg-matls.html

High voltage devices produce UV and X-ray, in addition to visible light, so there may be state as well as federal regulations. It is one's responsibility to comply with all relevant state and federal laws.

Cool thanks

Warpspeed13 said:
Ya I just wanted to demonstrate how the gasses swirled and the basic concept not generate fusion energy. Also where can you find those laws I tried googling it for a school report a while back and couldn't find anything approaching an official set of rules.

What do you mean by "swirled?"

I think you are interested in building a small apparatus to demonstrate how plasmas respond to magnetic fields and perhaps illustrate some basic concepts related to magnetic confinement.

You can create a plasma in small cylindrical acrylic tube and use ring magnets to study the response.

You certainly don't want to build a tokamak. Only the largest tokamaks have discharges that last for seconds. Most smaller experiments have discharges that last only a few milliseconds (if that). Its too short of a time for visual demonstration.

Yep that's exactly what I was talking about

1. Is a tokamak a type of nuclear reactor?

Yes, a tokamak is a type of nuclear fusion reactor that uses magnetic fields to contain and control a plasma of hydrogen isotopes, producing energy through fusion reactions.

2. How does a tokamak work?

A tokamak works by using a combination of strong magnetic fields and high temperatures to create and control a plasma of hydrogen isotopes. The magnetic fields confine the plasma, while the high temperatures (up to 150 million degrees Celsius) are needed to overcome the repulsive forces between the particles and allow fusion reactions to occur.

3. What are the advantages of a tokamak over other types of nuclear reactors?

Tokamaks have several advantages over other types of nuclear reactors. They can use hydrogen isotopes as fuel, which are readily available and produce minimal waste. They also have a high conversion efficiency, meaning they can produce a large amount of energy from a small amount of fuel. Additionally, tokamaks do not produce greenhouse gases or long-lived nuclear waste.

4. What are the challenges of building a model tokamak?

One of the main challenges of building a model tokamak is achieving and maintaining the high temperatures and pressures needed for fusion reactions. This requires advanced materials that can withstand the extreme conditions, as well as precise control systems to maintain stability and prevent disruptions. Additionally, the cost of constructing and operating a tokamak is currently very high.

5. What is the current status of tokamak research and development?

Tokamak research and development is ongoing, with several large-scale projects currently underway, such as the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) in France. These projects aim to demonstrate the feasibility and potential of fusion energy, as well as address technical challenges and improve technologies. However, there is still much research and development needed before a commercially viable tokamak can be built.