Calculating Buoyant Force of Ice to Find Mass - No Hints

In summary, a polar bear is partially supported by a rectangular slab of ice, causing the ice to sink down and expose only half of its previous surface. The bear's mass is estimated by assuming a specific gravity of 1.0 and a total ice volume of 10 m^3. The textbook answer is incorrect, as the buoyant force on the bear equals the weight of its submerged portion.
cscott
70% of a mass is supported by a slab of ice and the ice sinks down so that only half of what was previously exposed now is exposed. What is the mass assuming that the ice has a volume of 10 m^3 and the mass has a specific gravity of 1.0?

Why can't I use the buoyant force of the ice before and after the extra weight is added and subtract to get the weight of the object itself? I get 539.5 kg while the textbook says 790 kg. Only hints please!

Physics news on Phys.org
cscott said:
Why can't I use the buoyant force of the ice before and after the extra weight is added and subtract to get the weight of the object itself?
Sounds good to me. Show what you did exactly.

Alright, well since [itex]F_B = w[/itex] when an object is floating, the buoyant force is [itex]F_B = \rho_{ice} Vg = (0.917 \times 10^3)(10)(9.8) = 9.0 \times 10^4N[/itex].

[tex]\frac{0.917 \times 10^3}{1.00 \times 10^3} + \frac{1}{2}(1 - 0.917) = 0.9585
[/tex]
for the fraction of the ice submerged once the unkown mass is put on.

With this, the buoyant force is [itex]F_b = (1.00 \times 10^3)(0.9585 \cdot 10)(9.8) = 9.4 \times 10^4N[/itex]

[tex]W_{object} = 9.4 \times 10^4 - 9.0 \times 10^4 = 4.0 \times 10^3N[/tex]

[tex]\frac{4.0 \times 10^4 \cdot 1.3}{9.8} = 530 kg[/tex]

I rounded the numbers this time.

Last edited:
Your method looks OK to me (assuming we are interpreting the problem correctly--why do they specify the specific gravity of the mass?) but I would divide by 0.7 instead of multiply by 1.3.

Doc Al said:
Your method looks OK to me (assuming we are interpreting the problem correctly--why do they specify the specific gravity of the mass?) but I would divide by 0.7 instead of multiply by 1.3.

The fact that they gave the specific gravity had me starting to work with volume but I could never get any sensible answers. If it makes any difference, this is how the question is worded in the book:

A polar bear paritally supports herself by pulling part of her body out of the water onto a rectangular slab of ice. The ice sinks down so that only half of what was once exposed now is exposed, and the bear has 70 percent of her volume (and weight) out of the water. Estimate the bear's mass, assuming that the total volume of the ice is 10 m^3, and the bear's specific gravity is 1.0.

Since the specific gravity is one, it makes no difference--the buoyant force on the bear equals the weight of her submerged portion. (Were it something else, it would matter.)

Ah, ok. I guess the textbook answer is just wrong...?

Thanks for your help BTW.

cscott said:
I guess the textbook answer is just wrong...?
Yep, seems wrong to me.

What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid (such as water) on an object immersed in it. It is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

Why is it important to calculate the buoyant force of ice?

Calculating the buoyant force of ice can help determine the mass of the ice, which is important in various applications such as predicting the stability of a floating ice sheet or understanding the impact of melting ice on sea levels.

What factors affect the buoyant force of ice?

The buoyant force of ice is affected by the density of the ice, the density of the fluid it is immersed in (usually water), and the volume of the ice. It is also affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

How do you calculate the buoyant force of ice?

The buoyant force can be calculated using the formula Fb = ρfVg, where ρf is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the ice, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the ice is fully submerged in the fluid.

Are there any other methods to calculate the buoyant force of ice?

Yes, there are other methods such as using Archimedes' principle which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. Additionally, there are computer simulations and experiments that can be used to calculate the buoyant force of ice.