Magnetic field is made of photons?

In summary: We also learn that photons have a specific energy and frequency. This means that photons are the "building blocks" of the EM fields.Fourthly, it is important to remember that photons are associated with EM fields in the absence of sources of energy. This means that electric and magnetic fields are also made of photons. However, electric and magnetic fields can exist without any photons present.In summary,-You have been researching photons, which is a topic that is important to know.-You should not be using public libraries to do your research, as they may not be reliable.-QED is a theory that describes how photons are the force carriers of the EM fields.-You should remember

Flux said:
Strings are an interesting theory but I don't think it's been proven yet.

The more i read about LHC and strings the more i think there is no such thing as nothing.
Nothing is just an illusion, something that our current knowledge and instruments can't test.

Physics news on Phys.org
Contemplating the mechanics of the universe-

richerrich said:
The more i read about LHC and strings the more i think there is no such thing as nothing.
Nothing is just an illusion, something that our current knowledge and instruments can't test.

Similar contemplation you're having by myself has resulted in my development of the following perspective I attempt to employ when trying to better understand physics beyond what the standard model can currently explain.

I find it intellectually stimulating and potentially useful to describe and identify the features of the universe as not being fundamentally composed of what is currently identified as fields or fundamental particles in addition to quanta. Instead, imagine the microcosm and macrocosm as only being composed of an incomprehensible amount of fundamentally small units of energy. Each quantum of energy (which solely comprises everything 'we' see, touch, feel and observe) is manipulated and transformed in a defined combination of either finite or infinite number of existing dimensions. Just as Einstein described gravity as the warping of space-time, each additional dimension in this perspective would also have similar effects in its ability to alter the interactions of energy existing in other corresponding dimension(s). This perspective combines the scales of the very large and the very small into one comprehensible theory which describes the universe based on the both simple and elegant prerequisite of understanding how energy in each dimension affects other quanta in the remaining dimensions. Using this perspective, it seems simple and obvious that entities in this universe would be able to exist in dimensions other than the three of space. This realization opens an amazing number of doors for understanding entities that we know exist, but cannot directly observe or measure at this time.

From this perspective, the concept of a ‘force-field’ employed for the past several millennia seems both crude and incomplete in describing the effects of other dimensions interacting with one another. What is identified today as a different types of particles may be a multi-dimensional structured group of many units of energy of different characteristics; each interacting with one another to produce what we recognize as its characteristics (such as elements in the periodic table).

To help visualize, imagine the following Calabi-Yau Shape as possibly representing all existing dimensions as they could be imagined in three dimensional space. The effect of one dimension upon another could be visualized as selecting one of the membranes in the below shape and pushing on it (representing the insertion of energy at the point of finger contact). The morph results in the proportional displacement of other membranes/ dimensions.

Calabi-Yau Shape Link: http://members.wolfram.com/jeffb/visualization/stringtheory2.shtml

Use your imagination. Albert Einstein himself said "Imagination is more important than knowledge". Nothing can logically be declared impossible until humanity can precisely explain every entity in the universe in its entirety.

Note* The purpose of this post simply to encourage and stimulate richerrich to contemplate how the universe might work; nothing else. It is not my intent to violate any PF rules, policies or guidelines by posting this. This post can be considered a thoughtful enrichment exercise.

Regards,
-Taylaron

Will I be able to reflect magnetic waves from a permanent magnet just like you should reflect light with a mirror?
Because some say magnetic waves are virtual photons or something and light are just photons.

5+ years later...you get a response...lol

Yes, you can reflect magnetic waves from a magnet to a "mirror," but the mirror has to be rotating/spinning in order for the magnetic waves to be reflected...;) Hope this solves the problem...

mattmann111 said:
Yes, you can reflect magnetic waves from a magnet to a "mirror," but the mirror has to be rotating/spinning in order for the magnetic waves to be reflected...;) Hope this solves the problem...

I didn't bother reading the whole thread because it generally seems to be full of (ancient) crazy-talk, and what you are saying just seems like more crazy-talk to me. Perhaps you could provide a reference because I have no idea what you mean by a "magnetic wave" in the first place nor what this reflection mechanism you speak of is.

unrelated, though interesting to note...

I apreaciate the thread and i have come to understand more about the energy packets emited by the interaction of EM.
However, if the photons have energy, why wouldn't they have mass, since E=mCC? and if they do why aren't they classified as matter?
And what happens if we can have a very long and thin magnet, would it exhibit the same classical properties?

Severian said:
II think it is very appropriate to call [tex]A^\mu[/tex] the 'photon field' and to say that it is made up of photons (how else would one define 'made up of'?). Similarly, since E and B are written in terms of A, they are written in terms of creation and annihilation operators, so are also 'made up of' photons.

Isnt this like saying "the ocean is made of waves"?
Actually the ocean is made of sea water - waves are things that happen in the ocean.
So photons are excitations in the photon field (but don't ask me what the photon field is made of)

Ben dot 1 said:
However, if the photons have energy, why wouldn't they have mass, since E=mCC? and if they do why aren't they classified as matter?
E0=mc^2
Mass corresponds to rest energy - but photons are never at rest, they have no rest energy and no mass.

And what happens if we can have a very long and thin magnet, would it exhibit the same classical properties?
The same classical properties as what?

This thread is from 2006. If there are open questions, can you please open a new thread (in the appropriate forum, not high-energy physics)?

Ben dot 1 said:
I apreaciate the thread and i have come to understand more about the energy packets emited by the interaction of EM.

Please read this FAQ post:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511175 [Broken]

This is a horribly old thread to revive. It is now closed.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
<h2>1. What is a magnetic field?</h2><p>A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is characterized by its strength and direction.</p><h2>2. How is a magnetic field related to photons?</h2><p>A magnetic field is not made of photons, but rather photons are particles that can interact with and be affected by a magnetic field. Photons are the fundamental particles of light and other electromagnetic radiation, and they carry energy and momentum.</p><h2>3. Can photons create a magnetic field?</h2><p>No, photons do not have an electric charge and therefore cannot create a magnetic field. However, they can be influenced by existing magnetic fields and can also interact with charged particles, causing them to move and create a magnetic field.</p><h2>4. Is a magnetic field always present?</h2><p>Yes, a magnetic field is always present in some form, whether it is naturally occurring or artificially created. Earth, for example, has a magnetic field that is generated by the movement of molten iron in its core.</p><h2>5. How is a magnetic field measured?</h2><p>A magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects and measures the strength and direction of the magnetic field. Other methods include using a compass or a Hall effect sensor.</p>

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is characterized by its strength and direction.

2. How is a magnetic field related to photons?

A magnetic field is not made of photons, but rather photons are particles that can interact with and be affected by a magnetic field. Photons are the fundamental particles of light and other electromagnetic radiation, and they carry energy and momentum.

3. Can photons create a magnetic field?

No, photons do not have an electric charge and therefore cannot create a magnetic field. However, they can be influenced by existing magnetic fields and can also interact with charged particles, causing them to move and create a magnetic field.

4. Is a magnetic field always present?

Yes, a magnetic field is always present in some form, whether it is naturally occurring or artificially created. Earth, for example, has a magnetic field that is generated by the movement of molten iron in its core.

5. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects and measures the strength and direction of the magnetic field. Other methods include using a compass or a Hall effect sensor.