Quantum Mechanics Positional Operator

In summary, we discussed the wave function \Psi_{n}(x) for a particle in a box, which is given by \sqrt{2/L}sin(\pi nx/L) for 0 \leq x \leq L, and 0 for x<0 or x>L. We also defined the expectation value <\hat{x}> as the average position of the particle, and showed that it is equal to L/2. We then calculated the integral \int_0^L ~\frac{2x}{L}~ \sin^{2}(\pi n x / L) dx and found that it simplifies to just L/2.
UbikPkd
[tex]\Psi_{n}(x)[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{2/L}[/tex]sin([tex]\pi[/tex]nx/L), 0 [tex]\leq[/tex]x [tex]\leq[/tex] L

[tex]\Psi_{n}(x)[/tex] = 0, x<0, x>L

[tex]\pi[/tex] is meant to be just normal, not superscript, sorry

n is an integer

show that <[tex]\hat{x}[/tex]> = L/2

<[tex]\hat{x}[/tex]> is the expectation value of the positional operator [tex]\hat{x}[/tex] right?

[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] [tex]\Psi[/tex]= x [tex]\Psi[/tex] i think so...

[tex]\int[/tex]2x/L sin [tex]^{2}[/tex]([tex]\pi[/tex]2nx/L) dx

which gets me L/2 - L[tex]^{2}[/tex]/4n[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\pi[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

but it is supposed to be just L/2 sigh...

any help will be much appreciated :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
UbikPkd said:
[tex]\Psi_{n}(x)[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{2/L}[/tex]sin([tex]\pi[/tex]nx/L), 0 [tex]\leq[/tex]x [tex]\leq[/tex] L

[tex]\Psi_{n}(x)[/tex] = 0, x<0, x>L

[tex]\pi[/tex] is meant to be just normal, not superscript, sorry

n is an integer

show that <[tex]\hat{x}[/tex]> = L/2

<[tex]\hat{x}[/tex]> is the expectation value of the positional operator [tex]\hat{x}[/tex] right?

[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] [tex]\Psi[/tex]= x [tex]\Psi[/tex] i think so...

[tex]\int[/tex]2x/L sin [tex]^{2}[/tex]([tex]\pi[/tex]2nx/L) dx

Hint: Put everything inside a single tex quote! As in

[tex]\int_0^L ~\frac{2x}{L}~ \sin^{2}(\pi 2 n x / L) dx [/tex]

This seems right (you used the limits to be 0 and L, right?)
Can you show your steps? You must have made a mistake in the integration.

ok here goes, i was wary of doing that because, as you can see, that was my first post and it took forever!

sorry that last one should have read:

[tex]\int_0^L ~\frac{2x}{L}~ \sin^{2}(\pi n x / L) dx [/tex] [tex]\int_0^L ~\frac{x}{L}~- ~\frac{x}{L}~ \cos(2 \pi n x / L) dx [/tex]

integrating by parts:

[tex]~\frac{x^{2}}{2L}-(~\frac{x}{L}~~\frac{L}{2n \pi }~\sin(~\frac{2 n \pi x}{L}~)- \int_0^L ~\frac{L}{2 n \pi L}~\sin~\frac{2n \pi x}{L}~dx )[/tex][tex]\left[ ~\frac{x^{2}}{2L}-~\frac{x}{2n \pi}~\sin(~\frac{2 n \pi x}{L}~)- ~\frac{L}{4 n^{2} \pi^{2}}~\cos~\frac{2n \pi x}{L}~ \right][/tex] (between L and 0)

= [tex]~\frac{L}{2}~ - ~\frac{L}{4 n^{2} \pi^{2}}~[/tex]

but it should just be [tex]~\frac{L}{2}~[/tex] ?

Last edited:
you have basically worked out the answer, it's just that you forgot that the when zero is put in as a limit in the second part (the cosine part), it gives 1 aswell. i.e. [itex] cos(2 \pi n) = cos(0) [/itex], so the second part that you got disappears, leaving you with just the L/2 which is what you want.

[tex] <x> = ~\frac{L}{2}~ - ~\frac{L}{(2 \pi n)^2}~ + ~\frac{L}{(2 \pi n)^2}~ [/tex]

Last edited:
ppyadof said:
you have basically worked out the answer, it's just that you forgot that the when zero is put in as a limit in the second part (the cosine part), it gives 1 aswell. i.e. [itex] cos(2 \pi n) = cos(0) [/itex], so the second part that you got disappears, leaving you with just the L/2 which is what you want.

[tex] <x> = ~\frac{L}{2}~ - ~\frac{L}{(2 \pi n)^2}~ + ~\frac{L}{(2 \pi n)^2}~ [/tex]

AHHHHHH I've done that so many times, still i haven't learnt, thank you very much, both of you!

nrqed
i read your blog, a few days ago id never done any quantum, they threw us in by asking for the wave function of the 'particle in a box' . It was a steep learning curve that lasted all night and several litres of coffee...got there in the end!

UbikPkd said:
AHHHHHH I've done that so many times, still i haven't learnt, thank you very much, both of you!

nrqed
i read your blog, a few days ago id never done any quantum, they threw us in by asking for the wave function of the 'particle in a box' . It was a steep learning curve that lasted all night and several litres of coffee...got there in the end!

That's ok. Only too glad to help. Steep learning curves are the best in the long run, take my word for it :P

1. What is a quantum mechanics positional operator?

A quantum mechanics positional operator is a mathematical tool used to describe the position of a particle in a quantum system. It is represented by the symbol x and can be used to determine the probability of finding a particle at a particular position.

2. How is the quantum mechanics positional operator different from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the position of a particle is described by its coordinates in space. However, in quantum mechanics, the position of a particle is described in terms of probability. The quantum mechanics positional operator takes into account the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

3. What is the mathematical expression for the quantum mechanics positional operator?

The mathematical expression for the quantum mechanics positional operator is ^x, where the caret symbol represents an operator and x represents the position variable.

4. How is the quantum mechanics positional operator used in calculations?

The quantum mechanics positional operator is used in conjunction with other operators, such as the momentum operator, to calculate observables in a quantum system. The expectation value of an observable can be found by applying the appropriate operator to the wave function of the system.

5. What is the significance of the uncertainty principle in relation to the quantum mechanics positional operator?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is related to the quantum mechanics positional operator, as the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, and vice versa.