Physical meaning of minus in Faraday's law of induction

In summary, Faraday's law of induction states that the induced emf in a circuit is equal to the negative of the rate of change of magnetic flux. This is explained by Lenz's Law, which states that the induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic flux. The direction of the induced emf can be determined using the right hand rule, and the minus sign serves as a reminder to apply Lenz's Law. It is important to define a reference direction in order to give meaning to the minus sign.
yoran
Hi,

I'm having some troubles with Faraday's law of induction:
[tex]\mathcal{E} = - {{d\Phi_B} \over dt}[/tex]

I don't understand the meaning of the minus. I do understand that, according to the law of Lenz, the induced current is directed such that it counters the change in magnetic flux. But I don't see how the induced emf can have a direction (positive or negative) because if the magnetic flux is increasing, the induced emf is negative and when the magnetic flux is decreasing, the induced emf is positive. But in a circuit where there is an induced emf, what is the physical meaning of a negative or positive emf?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
right hand rule

To interpret the minus sign, use the right hand rule. Here's an example. Imagine a circular loop in the x-y plan and centered at the origin. Let's say we define the flux to be positive when the B field is pointing in the +z direction. If Faraday's law tells you that the sign of the EMF is positive, the right hand rule* will tell you that the EMF is counterclockwise (as viewed from the +z axis looked down towards the origin); if negative, then clockwise.

*If the thumb of your right hand points parallel or anti-parallel to +z axis (depending upon the sign of the EMF given by Faraday's law), the curl of your fingers will give you the orientation of the EMF.

Make sense?

Faraday's law of induction itself is confusing to me. Consider that the force x distance energy of pushing a coil against magnetism; converts to magnetic energy in the coil.

Force x distance relationships are independent of rate of movement through the force. Consider that in a demonstration related to the Meissner effect, a magnet placed above a superconductor is levitated. I suspect the levitation height is independent of magnet velocity before levitation.

I just think of the minus sign as a reminder to apply Lenz's Law when dealing with an induced emf.

Thanks guys I understand it now. So basically you have to define a reference direction in order to give a meaning to the minus sign.

Yeah, that seems right.

1. What is Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction states that when a conductor is placed in a changing magnetic field, an electromotive force (EMF) is induced, which causes a current to flow in the conductor.

2. What is the physical meaning of minus in Faraday's law of induction?

The minus sign in Faraday's law of induction indicates the direction of the induced EMF. It signifies that the induced current will flow in a direction opposite to the change in magnetic field.

3. How does Faraday's law of induction relate to electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's law of induction is one of the basic principles of electromagnetic induction. It states that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor, and this current will create its own magnetic field.

4. Can Faraday's law of induction be used to generate electricity?

Yes, Faraday's law of induction is the basis for the working of generators, which convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. The changing magnetic field in the generator induces an EMF in the conducting wire, which then drives the flow of electrons and generates electricity.

5. How does Faraday's law of induction explain the concept of mutual inductance?

Faraday's law of induction can also be used to explain the concept of mutual inductance, which occurs when two coils are placed close to each other. The changing magnetic field in one coil induces a current in the other coil, causing a mutual effect between the two coils.