Purple Fish in Red Sea: Can You Identify?

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in identifying small purple fish they saw while snorkeling in the Red Sea. They believe the fish may be angelfish or anthias, but are unsure and looking for confirmation from a marine biologist or someone with knowledge of the reefs. They have tried searching online but have not been able to find a definitive answer.
daniel tisdal
Snorkeling in the Red Sea, I noticed fish that were near the edge of my purple-range. They were small--perhaps 3-5 inches. Looking at guides I would say they were angelfish or anthias, but surely there are marine biologists who know exactly what these were. I have see other purple fish, these were unusal in that--even in sunlight--they were sometimes nearly obscured by the pigment.

Can anyone give a likely identification?

Biology news on Phys.org
daniel tisdal said:
Snorkeling in the Red Sea, I noticed fish that were near the edge of my purple-range. They were small--perhaps 3-5 inches. Looking at guides I would say they were angelfish or anthias, but surely there are marine biologists who know exactly what these were. I have see other purple fish, these were unusal in that--even in sunlight--they were sometimes nearly obscured by the pigment.

Can anyone give a likely identification?

Can you find it in this Google Images search on purple tropical fish?

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=purple+tropical+fish&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g1

Yes, I did try that site and others. It's hard to tell one small reef fish from another from photos. I had not seen fish this shade of violet before so I thought they might be unique in terms of pigmentation. That's maybe not the case, so I thought perhaps someone with particular knowledge of those reefs might have an authoritative guess.

1. What is the significance of finding purple fish in the Red Sea?

The presence of purple fish in the Red Sea is significant because it indicates the diversity of marine life in the area. The Red Sea is known for its vibrant coral reefs and is home to over 1,200 species of fish, including the purple fish.

2. How can you identify a purple fish in the Red Sea?

Identifying a purple fish in the Red Sea can be challenging as there are many species that have variations of purple in their coloration. However, some common characteristics of purple fish in the Red Sea include a slender body, large eyes, and a forked tail. They also tend to have yellow or orange accents on their fins.

3. Are purple fish in the Red Sea dangerous?

No, purple fish in the Red Sea are not considered dangerous. Most species of purple fish are harmless and do not pose a threat to humans. However, it is always important to be cautious and avoid touching or provoking any marine life in their natural habitat.

4. What is the diet of purple fish in the Red Sea?

The diet of purple fish in the Red Sea varies depending on the species. Some purple fish are herbivores and feed on algae and seaweed, while others are carnivores and feed on smaller fish and crustaceans. Some species may also have a mixed diet.

5. How can the presence of purple fish in the Red Sea affect the ecosystem?

The presence of purple fish in the Red Sea is an indication of a healthy and diverse ecosystem. These fish play an important role in maintaining the balance of the food chain and contribute to the overall health of the marine environment. However, overfishing or pollution can have a negative impact on the population of purple fish and disrupt the ecosystem.