Problem with units when using E=hv

• Thread starter Aspchizo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the formula for energy of a photon is E=hf or E=hc/λ, where f is frequency, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength. The second formula is used when frequency is unknown and combines the equations for frequency and energy. When using E=hc/λ, the units for energy are kg*m2/s3. To convert the units to Joules, the value for Planck's constant, represented as J*s, should be used instead of just s. It is important to carefully check the signs of exponents when working with these equations.
Aspchizo
In case I'm wrong, the formula for energy of a photon is E=hf.
Or E=hc/λ, because f=c/λ.

Basically the second formula is just in case you don't know frequency so it crams the equation for that into the equation for energy.

When I use E=hc/λ the units I get are...

kg*m2/s3

What I did was... A photon of red light, has a wavelength of like 700nM, so...

(6.626×10-34kg*m2/s2) (3x108m/s) / 7×107m

= 2.84×1019kg*m2/s3

I thought the answer would be in Joules, which is kg*m2/s2, so I must be missing something... Why the extra unit of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow stupid, Planck's constant is J×s which is kg*m2/s

Well, everything else looks okay?

Check the signs of your exponents. Everything else looks right, if you fix your units.

Ah right, ^-19

Thanks

1. What is the equation E=hv and what does it represent?

The equation E=hv is known as the Planck-Einstein relation and it represents the relationship between energy (E) and frequency (v) of electromagnetic radiation. It states that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency.

2. Why is it important to use proper units when using E=hv?

Using proper units is important in any scientific calculation, but it is especially crucial when using E=hv. This is because the units for energy and frequency are different, and using the wrong units can lead to incorrect results. Additionally, E=hv is often used in complex equations and any unit errors can have a cascading effect on the final result.

3. What are the units for energy and frequency in E=hv?

The units for energy in E=hv are joules (J) and the units for frequency are hertz (Hz). However, in some cases, other units such as electron volts (eV) or angular frequency (rad/s) may be used for energy and frequency respectively.

4. Can E=hv be used for all types of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, E=hv can be used for all types of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, radio waves, X-rays, and gamma rays. This is because all forms of electromagnetic radiation exhibit wave-like properties and therefore have a frequency and energy associated with them.

5. How does E=hv relate to the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect refers to the phenomenon where electrons are ejected from a metal surface when exposed to light of a certain frequency. This phenomenon can be explained by E=hv, as it shows that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency. Therefore, only photons with a certain energy (or frequency) can have enough energy to eject electrons from the metal surface, causing the photoelectric effect.