Can G-Parity Explain the Dominance of Vector Current in Tau Decay?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the decay width for the \tau \rightarrow \rho \; \nu_{\tau} decay using a parameterization of the matrix element of the hadronic current. The matrix element is found to have both vector and axial current terms, but it is expected that only the vector current term will contribute due to the spin 1 nature of the \rho meson. The conversation then raises the question of how to formally demonstrate this exclusion of the axial term, and suggests using G-parity transformation as a possible explanation. Additional articles and resources are also mentioned for further understanding.
GWSguy
I'm studying the [itex] \tau \rightarrow \rho \; \nu_{\tau} [/itex] decay. I'm asked to calculate the decay width, using a parameterization of the matrix element of the hadronic current. I actually find a matrix element of the form:
[tex] \left<\rho |\; \bar{u} \gamma^{\mu} \left( 1-\gamma^{5} \right ) d \; | 0\right> [/tex]
in which I have both the vector and the axial current (u and d are up and down quarks). The [itex] \rho [/itex] meson is a spin 1 vector meson, so I expect that only the term from the vector current survives. I've infact verified this statement in many articles which report:
[tex] \left<\rho |\; \bar{u} \gamma^{\mu} d \; | 0\right> = f_{\rho} m_{\rho} \epsilon ^{\mu} [/tex]
with [itex]\epsilon ^{\mu} [/itex] the polarization vector of the meson.

The problem is that I'm not able to demonstrate it. How can I formally demonstrate it? Is there any parity argument which allows me to exclude the axial term?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I know understand! The vector current is even under a G-parity transformation. I recall that G-parity is a multiplicative quantum number used for hadrons classification. It is defined as a rotation about the 2-axis, followed by charge conjugation, i.e. [tex] C \mathrm{e}^{i\pi I_{2}} [/tex] where [tex] I_{2}[/tex] is an isospin generator. The [tex] \rho [/tex] is even to. The axial current is odd under such a transformation.
For more details, I suggest Quarks and Leptons by Lev Okun.

1. What is a vector meson decay constant?

A vector meson decay constant is a parameter used to describe the strength of the interaction between a vector meson and its decay products. It is typically denoted by the symbol fV and is related to the coupling constant of the strong nuclear force.

2. How is the vector meson decay constant measured?

The vector meson decay constant can be measured experimentally using various techniques, such as scattering experiments or electron-positron annihilation. The decay constant is extracted from the observed decay rates of the vector meson and its decay products.

3. What is the significance of the vector meson decay constant in particle physics?

The vector meson decay constant plays a crucial role in understanding the properties and interactions of vector mesons, which are important particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is also used in theoretical calculations and models to predict the behavior of vector mesons in different processes.

4. How does the vector meson decay constant differ from the pseudoscalar meson decay constant?

The vector meson decay constant, fV, is specific to vector mesons, which have spin-1, while the pseudoscalar meson decay constant, fP, is specific to pseudoscalar mesons, which have spin-0. These two constants have different physical interpretations and values, and they are related to different aspects of the strong nuclear force.

5. Can the vector meson decay constant change over time or in different conditions?

The vector meson decay constant is a fundamental constant of nature and is not dependent on time or specific conditions. However, it can vary depending on the type of vector meson being studied, as different vector mesons have different decay constants. Additionally, theoretical models and calculations may use different values for the decay constant depending on the specific scenario being studied.