Functional Analysis problems need checking

In summary: Hello?In summary, the normed vector space (V, \|\cdot\|) satisfies the inequality \left| \|x\| - \|y\| \right| \leq \|x-y\| for all x,y \in V. This implies that the norm is a continuous function from V to \mathbb{R}. Additionally, the operator T:l^2\rightarrow l^2 defined by T(\{x_n\}) = \{a_nx_n\} is linear and bounded with \|T\| = \sup |a_n|. Further, the adjoint operator T^* is unique and linear, and is bounded with \|T^*\| \leq \|T\|. Finally
Oxymoron
Question 1

Prove that if [itex](V, \|\cdot\|)[/itex] is a normed vector space, then

[tex] \left| \|x\| - \|y\| \right| \leq \|x-y\|[/tex]

for every [itex]x,y \in V[/itex]. Then deduce that the norm is a continuous function from [itex]V[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution

Let [itex]x = x-y+y[/itex]. Taking norms on both sides gives

[tex]\|x\| = \|x-y+y\| \leq \|x-y\| + \|y\|[/tex]

This implies that

[tex]\|x\| - \|y\| \leq \|x-y\|[/tex] (1)

Now let [itex]y = y -x + x[/itex]. Taking norms on both sides gives

[tex]\|y\| = \|y - x + x\| \leq \|y - x\| + \|x\|[/tex]

Which implies that

[tex]\|y\| - \|x\| \leq \|y-x\|[/tex]

Which is also

[tex]-\left(\|x\|-\|y\|\right) \leq \|x-y\|[/tex] (2)

By considering both (1) and (2) we have

[tex]\left| \|x\| - \|y\| \right| \leq \|x - y\|[/tex]

For continuity, suppose we fix [itex]y = x_0 \in V[/itex]. Then for every [itex]x \in V[/itex] the triangle inequality gives us

[tex]\left| \|x\| - \|x_0\| \right| \leq \|x - x_0\|[/tex]

Which implies

[tex]\left| \|x\| - \|x_0\| \right| < \epsilon[/tex]

Satisfying

[tex]\|x-x_0\| < \epsilon[/tex]

Last edited:
Looks good. If it's homework I suggest to write down the continuity proof more clearly and completely like you did with the first question.

Thankyou for replying Galileo. Here is my next question/solution...

Question 2

Let [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex] be a fixed bounded sequence of complex numbers, and define [itex]T:l^2 \rightarrow l^2[/itex] by

[tex]T(\{x_n\}) = \{a_nx_n\}[/tex]

Prove that [itex]T[/itex] is linear and bounded with

[tex]\|T\| = \sup |a_n|[/tex]

The first thing I did was assume that the norm is the usual one

[tex] \|x\| = \left(\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |x_n|^2 \right)^{1/2}[/tex]

Then to show that [itex]T[/itex] is linear I showed two things:

(1) [tex]T(\{x_n+y_n\}) = \{a_n(x_n+y_n)\} = \{a_nx_n + a_ny_n\} = \{a_nx_n\} + \{a_ny_n\} = T(\{x_n\}) + T(\{y_n\})[/tex]

(2) [tex]T(\lambda\{x_n\}) = \{\lambda a_nx_n\} = \lambda \{a_n x_n\} = \lambda T(\{x_n\})[/tex]

For every [itex]x_n,y_n \in l^{\infty}[/itex]

Hence linear.

Further, for every [itex]x_n \in l^{\infty}[/itex] we have

[tex]\|T(\{x_n\})\|^2 = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} |a_nx_n|^2 \leq \left(\sup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}|a_n|\right)^2\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}|x_n|^2 = \left(\sup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}|a_n|\right)^2\|x\|^2[/tex]

Therefore [itex]T:l^2\rightarrow l^2[/itex] is bounded, with

[tex]\|T(\{x_n\})\| \leq M \|x\|[/tex]

For all [itex]\{x_n\} \in l^{\infty}[/itex] where

[tex]M = \sup_{n\in\mathbb{N}}|a_n| = \|a_n\|_{\infty}[/tex]

ie, the supremum norm of [itex]\{a_n\} \in l^{\infty}[/itex].

Last edited:
Your first proof works for me just fine, but you have to use the given norm that tells you that
[tex] \| T(\{x_n\}) \| = \textrm{sup}(a_n) [/tex]
This is a function mapping sequences to sequences, and you've been given a norm differing from the Euclidean norm, so you have to use that one.

Thankyou for replying MS.

If the norm I am actually meant to be using is

[tex]\|T\| = \sup |a_n|[/tex]

Then isn't [itex]T[/itex] obviously bounded by the supremum of the [itex]a_n's[/itex]? This is probably wrong, since I am used to seeing an inequality instead of an equality - which is alarming.

Last edited:
Yeah, the norm should be bounded in the case of bounded coefficients.

How would I formalize this statement? Or is it enough to simply say that the norm is bounded by the supremum of the coefficients?

Im having some difficulties proving some basic properties of the adjoint operator. I want to prove the following things:

1) There exists a unique map [itex]T^*:K\rightarrow H[/itex]
2) That [itex]T^*[/itex] is bounded and linear.
3) That [itex]T:H\rightarrow K[/itex] is isometric if and only if [itex]T^*T = I[/itex].
4) Deduce that if [itex]T[/itex] is an isometry, then [itex]T[/itex] has closed range.
5) If [itex]S \in B(K,H)[/itex], then [itex](TS)^* = S^*T^*[/itex], and that [itex]T^*^* = T[/itex].
6) Deduce that if [itex]T[/itex] is an isometry, then [itex]TT^*[/itex] is the projection onto the range of [itex]T[/itex].

Note that [itex]H,K[/itex] are Hilbert Spaces.

There are quite a few questions, and I am hoping that by proving each one I will get a much better understanding of these adjoint operators. Now I think I have made a fairly good start with these proofs, so I'd like someone to check them please.

We'll begin with the first one.

1) (To prove that [itex]T^*[/itex] is unique I'll be referring to Riesz's Theorem.)

I want to prove that there exists a unique mapping [itex]T^*:K\rightarrow H[/itex] such that

[tex]\langle Th,k \rangle = \langle h, T^*k \rangle \quad \forall \, h \in H, \, k\in K[/tex]

For each [itex]k \in K[/itex], the mapping [itex]h \rightarrow \langle Th, k\rangle_K[/itex] is in [itex]H^*[/itex]. Hence by Riesz's theorem, there exists a unique [itex]z \in H[/itex] such that

[tex]\langle Th,k \rangle_K = \langle h,z \rangle_H \quad \forall \, h \in H[/tex].

Therefore there exists a unique map [itex]T^*: K \rightarrow H[/itex] such that

[tex]\langle Th, k\rangle_K = \langle h,T^*k\rangle_H \quad \forall \, h \in H, \, k \in K [/tex].

Therefore there exists a unique [itex]T^*[/itex]. [itex]\square[/itex]

Last edited:
2a) To see that [itex]T^*[/itex] is linear, take [itex]k_1, k_2 \in K[/itex] and [itex]\lambda \in \mathbb{F}[/itex], then for any [itex]h \in H[/itex] we have

[tex]\langle Th,k_1+\lambda k_2 \rangle_K &=& \langle Th,k_1\rangle_K + \overline{\lambda}\langle Th, k_2 \rangle_K \\
&=& \langle h,T^*k_1\rangle_K + \overline{\lambda}\langle h,T^*k_2\rangle_K \\
&=& \langle h, T^*k_1 + \lambda T^*k_2\rangle_K
[/tex]

Hence

[tex]T^*(k_1+\lambda k_2) = T^*(k_1) + \lambda T^*(k_2)[/tex]

[itex]T^*[/itex] is linear. [itex]\square[/itex]

Last edited:
2b) To prove that [itex]T^*[/itex] is bounded note first that

[tex]\|T^*k\|^2 = \langle T^* k, T^*k \rangle_K = \langle T(T^*k), k \rangle \leq \|T(T^*k)\|\|k\| \leq \|T\|\|T^*k\|\|k\| \quad \forall \, k \in K [/tex]

Now suppose that [itex]\|T^*k\| > 0[/itex]. Then dividing the above by [itex]\|T^*k\|[/itex] we have

[tex]\|T^*k\| \leq \|T\|\|k\| \quad \forall \, k \in K[/tex]

Note that this is trivial if [itex]\|T^*k\| = 0[/itex].

Therefore [itex]T^*[/itex] is bounded. [itex]\square[/itex]

Last edited:
Does anyone know if my 3 solutions are correct? ...anyone?

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations between them. It is often used in applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are some common problems that require functional analysis?

Some common problems that require functional analysis include optimization, differential equations, and matrix theory. It is also used in fields such as signal processing, control theory, and quantum mechanics.

3. How is functional analysis used in real-world applications?

Functional analysis is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing efficient algorithms for optimization problems, predicting the behavior of complex systems, and developing new technologies in fields like robotics and machine learning.

4. What are some techniques used in functional analysis?

Some common techniques used in functional analysis include Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, and spectral theory. Other techniques include normed vector spaces, convex analysis, and operator theory.

5. How can one check if a functional analysis problem is correct?

One way to check the correctness of a functional analysis problem is by verifying the results using different methods or approaches. It is also important to carefully define all the terms and assumptions used in the problem, and to check if the final solution satisfies all the given constraints and conditions.