What is the Convergence of the Integral for this Sequence?

In summary, we are given a function f_n that is defined as n^a on the interval [-1/n, 1/n] and zero elsewhere. We are asked to find all values of a for which the limit of the integral of f_n as n approaches infinity is equal to positive infinity. It is possible to change the last integral to a limit involving x, but the integration limits and alpha may be incorrect. Any assistance is appreciated.
Theraven1982
Hello, it's me again ;)

Problem:
-------
Define

[tex] f_{n}(x)=n^{\alpha}, |x|\leq 1/n, f_{n}=0[/tex] elsewhere

Give all [tex]\alpha \in \Re [/tex] for which

[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{\Re}f_{n}(x)dx=+\infty [/tex]
-------

Can i change this last integral to:

[tex] \lim_{x \to 0} \int_{0}^{\infty} x^{-\alpha}dx=+\infty [/tex]

But i think the integration limits aren't correct, and therefore [tex] alpha [/tex] is wrong too.

Any help appreciated,

kind regards,

W.

Physics news on Phys.org
Theraven1982 said:
Hello, it's me again ;)

Problem:
-------
Define

[tex] f_{n}(x)=n^{\alpha}, |x|\leq 1/n, f_{n}=0[/tex] elsewhere

Give all [tex]\alpha \in \Re [/tex] for which

[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{\Re}f_{n}(x)dx=+\infty [/tex]

Let's see, your function f_n is a constant n^a on the interval [-1/n, 1/n], and zero elsewhere. So the integral is just

[tex] \int_{\Re}f_{n}(x)dx= n^a \cdot \frac{2}{n}= 2 n^{a-1} [/tex]

as you can easily see from the graph of f_n.

You can take it from there...

Off course... now that I see it, it's all very simple. Guess sometimes my mind gets confused after too much maths ;).
Thank you,

W.

1. What is the definition of convergence of an integral?

The convergence of an integral refers to the behavior of the integral as the limits of integration approach certain values. If the integral approaches a finite value as the limits approach these values, then the integral is said to be convergent.

2. How can we determine if an integral is convergent or divergent?

To determine the convergence of an integral, we can use various tests such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These tests compare the given integral to known convergent or divergent integrals to determine its behavior.

3. What is the significance of the convergence of an integral?

The convergence of an integral is important in many areas of mathematics, such as in calculus, real analysis, and differential equations. It allows us to determine the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values. It also helps us to solve various problems and equations.

4. Can an integral be both convergent and divergent?

No, an integral can only be either convergent or divergent. If an integral is neither convergent nor divergent, it is said to be oscillatory. However, in some cases, an integral can be conditionally convergent, meaning it is convergent but it is not absolutely convergent.

5. How can we use the convergence of an integral in practical applications?

The convergence of an integral is used in various practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to calculate various quantities such as areas, volumes, and probabilities, and to make predictions about the behavior of systems. It is also used in numerical methods to approximate the value of integrals.