Physics Undergrad looking for advice preparing for Engineering Grad

In summary, if you are considering pursuing a graduate degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering, it would be beneficial to take undergraduate engineering courses, familiarize yourself with Matlab and programming languages, and research any specific requirements for your desired program.
nickexists
I recently graduated with a bachelors in physics and I am considering going to graduate school in mechanical or aerospace engineering. From what I've read I will probably need to start out taking some undergraduate engineering courses to get up to speed. I was hoping that someone could provide me with more detailed information about what undergrad courses I might need and what else I can do to prepare. I am planning on familiarizing myself more with Matlab and I was also thinking of starting to learn C++ because I have seen that many job postings prefer experience in C or C++. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The undergraduate engineering courses you will need to take will depend on the specific school and degree program you are considering. However, some of the more common courses include engineering mathematics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, dynamics, strength of materials, and mechanical design. It would also be beneficial to familiarize yourself with Matlab and C/C++ programming languages as these are commonly used in engineering work. Additionally, it is advisable to look into any additional requirements specific to the degree program you are interested in, such as prerequisite courses or admission tests.

What are the benefits of transitioning from a physics undergraduate degree to an engineering graduate program?

Transitioning from a physics undergraduate degree to an engineering graduate program can provide a strong foundation in mathematics and theoretical concepts, making it easier to understand and apply engineering principles. Additionally, engineering graduate programs often have a more practical and hands-on approach, allowing students to gain valuable real-world experience.

What are some key skills or knowledge areas that a physics undergraduate should focus on before starting an engineering graduate program?

It is important for a physics undergraduate to have a strong understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus and differential equations. It is also beneficial to have a solid understanding of mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. Additionally, knowledge of computer programming and experience with software commonly used in engineering, such as MATLAB or CAD programs, can be beneficial.

What can a physics undergraduate do to prepare for the more practical aspects of an engineering graduate program?

A physics undergraduate can prepare for the practical aspects of an engineering graduate program by gaining hands-on experience through internships, research projects, or extracurricular activities. This can also help develop problem-solving skills and the ability to work in a team, which are essential in engineering.

How can a physics undergraduate make the most of their time in an engineering graduate program?

To make the most of their time in an engineering graduate program, a physics undergraduate can actively participate in classes, seek out opportunities for research and internships, and network with professors and professionals in their field. They can also take advantage of resources such as career centers and academic advisors to help guide their academic and career goals.

What advice do you have for a physics undergraduate considering a transition to an engineering graduate program?

My advice would be to carefully research and consider the specific engineering field they are interested in, and make sure their undergraduate coursework aligns with the requirements for that particular program. It is also important to reach out to current engineering graduate students or alumni to gain insight into the program and their experiences. Finally, I would encourage them to stay curious and open-minded, as engineering is a diverse field and there is always more to learn.