How Does a Canonical Transformation Relate to Hamilton's Equations of Motion?

P/dQ = 1...In summary, a canonical transformation with a generating function of the form F_2(q,P) = qP + \epsilon G_2(q,P), where \epsilon is a small parameter, can be used to find the explicit form of the transformation equations. By setting G_2 = H and \epsilon = dt, and neglecting terms of order \epsilon^2 and higher, the transformation equations can be written in terms of Hamilton's equations of motion. This is allowed because any function G(q,P) can generate a canonical transformation, and using G = H allows us to transform the coordinates (q,p) into what they will be a small moment later. This is
Logarythmic

Homework Statement

Consider a canonical transformation with generating function

[tex]F_2 (q,P) = qP + \epsilon G_2 (q,P)[/tex],

where [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is a small parameter.
Write down the explicit form of the transformation. Neglecting terms of order [tex]\epsilon^2[/tex] and higher,find a relation between this transformation and Hamilton's equations of motion, by setting [tex]G_2=H[/tex] (why is this allowed?) and [tex]\epsilon = dt[/tex].2. The attempt at a solution

I think the transformation equations are

[tex]\delta p = P - p = -\epsilon \frac{\partial G_2}{\partial q}[/tex]

and

[tex]\delta q =Q-q=\epsilon \frac{\partial G_2}{\partial q}[/tex]
vanesch said:
I guess there's a typo here:
[tex]\delta q =Q-q=\epsilon \frac{\partial G_2}{\partial P}[/tex]

but how can I solve the last part? Can I just say that with the use of H and dt the equations can be written as

[tex]\dot{p}=-\frac{\partial H}{\partial q}[/tex]

and

[tex]\dot{q}=\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}[/tex]

which are the Hamiltonian equations of motion? And why is this allowed?

vanesch said:
The idea is that we work in first order in [tex]\epsilon[/tex], and that you can hence replace everywhere [tex]P[/tex] by [tex]p[/tex] as the difference will introduce only second-order errrors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ooops ! :redface: :redface:

I'm terribly sorry, instead of replying, I erroneously edited your post ! :bugeye:

Yes it should be a P, not a q. I get the relations

[tex]Q = q + \delta q[/tex]

and

[tex]P = p + \delta p[/tex]

but why is it allowed to use G = H?

Logarythmic said:
Yes it should be a P, not a q. I get the relations

[tex]Q = q + \delta q[/tex]

and

[tex]P = p + \delta p[/tex]

but why is it allowed to use G = H?

You have the choice ! Every function G(q,P) (which is smooth enough) will generate a canonical transformation. So you may just as well use H(q,P), and then - that's the whole point - the transformation equations from (q,p) into (Q,P) give you simply the genuine time evolution where epsilon is the small time step. For an arbitrary G that isn't the case of course, you've just transformed your coordinates (q,p) in some other (Q,P). But for G = H, you've transformed the coordinates (q,p) in what they will be, a small moment later !
The reason for that is that your transformation equations you've found for an arbitrary G are what they are, and become the Hamilton equations of motion when you pick G to be equal to H.

Now, strictly speaking we should write H(q,P) instead of H(q,p), but we can replace the P by p here, because they are only a small amount different.

and it also preserve the fundamental poisson brackets...

its just a quick calcolus {Q,P}

1. What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a mathematical transformation that preserves the structure of Hamilton's equations, which describe the dynamics of a physical system. It is used to transform one set of canonical coordinates to another set that can simplify the problem at hand.

2. What is the purpose of a canonical transformation?

The purpose of a canonical transformation is to simplify the mathematical description of a physical system. It can be used to transform coordinates to a more convenient or intuitive set, reduce the number of variables, or reveal underlying symmetries in the system.

3. How is a canonical transformation different from other transformations?

A canonical transformation differs from other transformations because it preserves the form of Hamilton's equations, which describe the dynamics of a physical system. This means that the new coordinates and momenta are still related by the same equations of motion, making it a more powerful and useful tool in solving physical problems.

4. What are some examples of canonical transformations?

Some examples of canonical transformations include the transformation from Cartesian to polar coordinates, from position and momentum to action-angle coordinates, and from one set of generalized coordinates to another set that better describes the symmetries of the system.

5. How are canonical transformations used in physics?

Canonical transformations are widely used in physics to simplify the mathematical description of a physical system. They are particularly useful in Hamiltonian mechanics, where they can reveal hidden symmetries and simplify the equations of motion. They are also used in quantum mechanics, where they can transform between different representations of a quantum system, such as position and momentum or position and energy.