Photo Contest - Turning Over A New Leaf (2/3-2/9)

In summary, the photos accepted for this week's photo contest must be of leaves, or leaves-related subject matter. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted. Please resize your digital photo to 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. Please do not crop your picture. Any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. One picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed. The contest ends at the end of the week, and the winner will be determined by a poll.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Turning Over A New Leaf

This week's theme is all about leaves, the biological kind. Your picture must have, as its central subject, a leaf, or leaves. This must be a real leaf, not fake, or picture/painting of a leaf.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a grey area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz

Physics news on Phys.org
An autumn day in Tennessee:

http://www.astroskwurl.net/leaves_pf.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have liked to have entered this one in the "Autumn" contest, but it was taken quite a bit after the contest was over. I almost posted it in the "Disqualified" thread, but decided to hold off.

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/fall.jpg [Broken]

I had no idea that Tennessee was so blurry. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:

It is if you're rushing to get out!

<ZapperZ runs and hides>

:)

Zz.

This is all I have that could fit the theme (well, I had one other I contemplated, but it might fit some other theme better in the future, so I decided to hold off on that one). I've already used the only other picture that would have fit the theme well for an earlier contest (or I think I did...I'm starting to lose track and have to check my imageshack album to see if I've used something before...I'm going to be in big trouble if that ever gets deleted).

It's a photo taken around dusk through the leaves on a tree at my old house. I just liked the way the colors turned out.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8576/leavesqc3.jpg [Broken]

Moonbear said:
It's a photo taken around dusk through the leaves on a tree at my old house. I just liked the way the colors turned out.

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8576/leavesqc3.jpg [Broken]
Oooh,[/URL] I like the sky through the leaves!

SpaceTiger said:

Now[/URL] this one made me reach for my glasses. Cool shot, but I thought my eyes had finally given out. :frown:

SpaceTiger said:

[/URL] Next time, hold the ground still. :rofl:

Since there are no leaves around to photograph I had to dig this out of my old photos...
379559138_fb92b3692f_o.jpg

larkspur said:
Since there are no leaves around to photograph I had to dig this out of my old photos...
Oooh, Larkspur, you have some of the best closeup pictures. :approve:

Evo said:
Oooh, Larkspur, you have some of the best closeup pictures. :approve:

Thanks Evo!

Moonbear said:
Hint... Jack Daniels tour. :tongue2:

turbo-1 said:
Hint... Jack Daniels tour. :tongue2:

:rofl: Aha! Now it makes sense! :rofl:

I was thinking of entering the collard greens, actually. They are leaves, and fit the theme of a "new leaf" exceptionally well (it having been New Years' and all like that). But I also just took some cool photos of a skeletal leaf. Those are less colorful.

I was also debating running an opinion poll of my own on a number of possible entries, then entering the winner of that subcontest here, but I decided to be nice (maybe: I might still change my mind).

It's not actually against the rules to do that. Sneaky, huh?

twisting_edge said:
I was thinking of entering the collard greens, actually. They are leaves, and fit the theme of a "new leaf" exceptionally well (it having been New Years' and all like that). But I also just took some cool photos of a skeletal leaf. Those are less colorful.

I was also debating running an opinion poll of my own on a number of possible entries, then entering the winner of that subcontest here, but I decided to be nice (maybe: I might still change my mind).

It's not actually against the rules to do that. Sneaky, huh?

Go ahead, start a poll. Then you would have to ask yourself if some of us might have a selfish interest in the photo you would enter. Would you trust me to pic YOUR photo. :devil: :rofl:

Integral said:
Go ahead, start a poll. Then you would have to ask yourself if some of us might have a selfish interest in the photo you would enter. Would you trust me to pic YOUR photo.
Good point. I hadn't thought the matter through. It was, I might point out, just an idea. But I could simply make the poll display the names publicly, and eliminate anyone running a photo.

Basically, it would be a more convenient method of asking people who might have a meaningful opinion (which is more or less what I did with my last message here in any case). The collard greens were colorful, but that's about it. The skeletal leaf is much cooler, but not very visually stimulating to the casual glance.

twisting_edge said:
Either people would steer you wrong or others would also start a poll. :biggrin: You'll just have to go with your gut instinct.

http://home.comcast.net/~integral50/scenery/HPIM3331a.JPG [Broken]

I like Bleeding Hearts, Integral. Nice pic.

My veriagated Acer Palmatum
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/9505/veriagatedacerdh9.jpg [Broken]

FredGarvin said:
I like Bleeding Hearts, Integral. Nice pic.

I should have ID'd that plant. The for the most part that is http://www.oakpointnursery.com/salal.htm" [Broken] a very common shrub in the coast range and western valleys of the Pacific Northwest. There are also some berry leaves, probably some variety of Blackberry

larkspur said:

You consistently have some of the best pictures here. :approve:

Some really beautiful pictures so far.

Zz, that leaf is HUGE!

http://bikeflat.com/albums/album07/DSC_1446.sized.jpg [Broken]

Evo said:
Zz, that leaf is HUGE!

Why, thank you, Evo!

Oh, you mean the leaf! Well yeah, they grow 'em big in Hawaii. This is the same plant that they use to make poi.

Zz.

Integral said:
I should have ID'd that plant. The for the most part that is http://www.oakpointnursery.com/salal.htm" [Broken] a very common shrub in the coast range and western valleys of the Pacific Northwest. There are also some berry leaves, probably some variety of Blackberry
Oh. It looked like a Bleeding Heart. I like that one too. I'll have to ask my wife if those are around my parts. Your link didn't say anything about zones. Ya learn something new every day.

FredGarvin said:
Oh. It looked like a Bleeding Heart. I like that one too. I'll have to ask my wife if those are around my parts. Your link didn't say anything about zones. Ya learn something new every day.

Yeah, now that you mention it the blossoms do look a lot like bleeding heart. If you saw them first hand you would not mistake them for bleeding heart since these are a very tough waxy flower which produces a small hard, sticky berry. The berry is nearly inediable raw but makes a wonderful jelly.

Last edited:
alex caps said:
http://bikeflat.com/albums/album07/DSC_1446.sized.jpg [Broken]
[/URL]

:uhh: Did you really photograph see-through leaves in sepia tone, or was there some image altering done to create that entry?

It looks like the picture was taken through a window when it was dark outside and a light was on inside. Just a hunch.

Or perhaps a picture of a reflection of leaves from the window.

Interesting composition.

cyrusabdollahi said:
You consistently have some of the best pictures here. :approve:
Thanks! I would definitely call photography a serious hobby of mine.

This can't compete with the other great entries in this contest, but here is a sample of about the only leaves we have at this time of year. Beech leaves that didn't fall off. One little problem - notice the fat, bright buds on the seedling. The very warm December and January fooled a lot of trees into springtime behavior. Right now, we are in the midst of an Arctic freeze with below 0 deg F temps most nights, so this little tree and a lot of others that were fooled into budding might not make it.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9674/leafsa6.jpg [Broken]

turbo-1 said:
This can't compete with the other great entries in this contest, but here is a sample of about the only leaves we have at this time of year. Beech leaves that didn't fall off. One little problem - notice the fat, bright buds on the seedling. The very warm December and January fooled a lot of trees into springtime behavior. Right now, we are in the midst of an Arctic freeze with below 0 deg F temps most nights, so this little tree and a lot of others that were fooled into budding might not make it.

That is a good shot turbo. Nice colors and I like the shadow of the branch in the snow too.

Astronuc said:
Or perhaps a picture of a reflection of leaves from the window.

I'm noticing that the leaf on the far right shows the pine needles through it, like it was two photos superimposed. I could be wrong, and there could be a perfectly legitimate explanation of how that photo was taken, but I just want to check that it wasn't an oversight of the rule that prohibits photo-editing. If it is, it should be moved to the Disqualified! thread (it still is a really cool picture).

<h2>1. What is the theme of the photo contest?</h2><p>The theme of the photo contest is "Turning Over A New Leaf". This means that we are looking for photos that capture the concept of change, growth, and new beginnings.</p><h2>2. How long is the submission period for the photo contest?</h2><p>The submission period for the photo contest is from 2/3 to 2/9. All entries must be submitted before 11:59 PM EST on 2/9 to be considered.</p><h2>3. Can I submit multiple photos for the contest?</h2><p>Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the contest. However, each participant is limited to a maximum of three entries. Please choose your best photos to submit.</p><h2>4. What are the criteria for judging the photos?</h2><p>The photos will be judged based on creativity, originality, relevance to the theme, and overall impact. Judges will also consider technical aspects such as composition, lighting, and clarity.</p><h2>5. How will the winners be announced?</h2><p>The winners will be announced on our website and social media platforms on 2/12. They will also be notified via email. Please make sure to provide a valid email address when submitting your entry.</p>

1. What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Turning Over A New Leaf". This means that we are looking for photos that capture the concept of change, growth, and new beginnings.

2. How long is the submission period for the photo contest?

The submission period for the photo contest is from 2/3 to 2/9. All entries must be submitted before 11:59 PM EST on 2/9 to be considered.

3. Can I submit multiple photos for the contest?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the contest. However, each participant is limited to a maximum of three entries. Please choose your best photos to submit.

4. What are the criteria for judging the photos?

The photos will be judged based on creativity, originality, relevance to the theme, and overall impact. Judges will also consider technical aspects such as composition, lighting, and clarity.

5. How will the winners be announced?

The winners will be announced on our website and social media platforms on 2/12. They will also be notified via email. Please make sure to provide a valid email address when submitting your entry.