Anyone have experience with geta (Japanese footwear)?

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, the conversation is about the benefits of wooden geta sandals for people who stand all day at work and the potential noise concerns. One person suggests trying Skecher Shape-Ups for foot pain relief and another person mentions the positive effects they have experienced with these shoes. The conversation ends with someone planning to look for the shoes in stores.
Newai
For those who don't know, here's the Wiki on geta:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geta_(footwear)

I was thinking about buying some for the sake of my feet. I stand all day at work and it's taking quite a toll on me. I've tried the various inserts for my sneakers and their mats, but they don't help at all. So you might be wondering why I'd go with wooden sandals. I had a similar experience with chairs. After many different kinds of foam and cushioned chairs, I tried a wooden chair and that has been the most comfortable for me. I suppose the same situation might be the case with my feet.

I was wondering if there was a realistic way of quieting the clacking noise. Any ideas before I order them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried on Skecher Shape-Ups? They have a rocker sole that helps minimize heel-strike. I have had a pair for just over a week and have gotten great relief from plantar fascitis. I had spent many years on my feet on concrete (mill-work) and it took a heavy toll on my feet. I tried these after a neighbor with similar foot problems bought some shoes with rocker soles, and then bought a pair of work-boots and a pair of dress shoes with the same style soles. He's working in the same paper mill that I used to work in, and has had to deal with a lot of foot pain until he found shoes and boots with rocker soles. After seeing how much my foot pain had improved, my wife bought a pair of Shape-Ups, too. She stands on concrete floors all day (making shoes).

Newai said:
I was wondering if there was a realistic way of quieting the clacking noise.
That's funny. When I wore them, I tried as hard as I could to make the clacking sound, but could not. I find it a pleasant sound. Why do you want to quiet it?

Jimmy Snyder said:
That's funny. When I wore them, I tried as hard as I could to make the clacking sound, but could not. I find it a pleasant sound. Why do you want to quiet it?

Seems to me like your feet would absorb the vibration from stepping and the wood wouldn't make much of a sound.

leroyjenkens said:
Seems to me like your feet would absorb the vibration from stepping and the wood wouldn't make much of a sound.
They are made of wood and clack on the sidewalk or street. I went to a spa with my colleagues in Japan. It was a two day binge. The idea is to get so drunk that you tell your boss all the things that have been bothering you in the past year. After a sumptuous dinner and a dip in the spa, we all went out for a midnight bowl of soup at a nearby ramen stand. All of us were decked out in light robes, clickety clacking our way along except for the foreigner who couldn't get the hang of it.

turbo-1 said:
Have you tried on Skecher Shape-Ups? They have a rocker sole that helps minimize heel-strike. I have had a pair for just over a week and have gotten great relief from plantar fascitis. I had spent many years on my feet on concrete (mill-work) and it took a heavy toll on my feet. I tried these after a neighbor with similar foot problems bought some shoes with rocker soles, and then bought a pair of work-boots and a pair of dress shoes with the same style soles. He's working in the same paper mill that I used to work in, and has had to deal with a lot of foot pain until he found shoes and boots with rocker soles. After seeing how much my foot pain had improved, my wife bought a pair of Shape-Ups, too. She stands on concrete floors all day (making shoes).
Okay, I'll see if one of the stores here have them. Thank you.

Jimmy Snyder said:
So as to not disturb my coworkers.

Uh, turbo-1, would you say those shoes are good for standing all day rather than walking/running? I'm basically in one place for eight to ten hours a day.

Newai said:
Okay, I'll see if one of the stores here have them. Thank you.
You are very welcome. The shoes feel a bit odd when you're standing, so walk around the shoe store and see what your normal stride feels like with these soles. I liked it right away, and I wore them home. My plantar fascitis pain began to relieve within a couple of days. My calves got a little warm for the first week, which is not a bad sign - it's a sign that they have been getting a bit more of a work-out than normal, and that's good. When I walk my dog (he is compact, but very powerful) he sometimes pulls on the lead when he is excited and the Shape-Ups help minimize heel-strike. They also make my feet feel better when I'm walking on steep down-slopes. All good.

1. What are geta?

Geta are traditional Japanese footwear that consist of a wooden base with two raised supports called "teeth" and a fabric thong that secures the foot to the base.

2. How are geta worn?

Geta are typically worn with traditional Japanese clothing such as kimono or yukata. The heel of the foot is placed on the raised teeth and the thong is secured between the first and second toe.

3. Are geta comfortable to wear?

Comfort can vary depending on the individual's preference and the quality of the geta. Some people find them comfortable and easy to walk in, while others may find them difficult to balance on.

4. What are the benefits of wearing geta?

One of the main benefits of wearing geta is that they elevate the feet off the ground, protecting them from dirt and moisture. They also promote good posture and can be beneficial for foot health.

5. How do you care for geta?

Geta should be kept dry and stored in a cool, dry place. If the fabric thong becomes dirty, it can be hand-washed and air-dried. The wooden base can be wiped with a damp cloth and occasionally treated with oil to prevent cracking.