What the heck is measured in m2 / s2?

• Thread starter johann1301
  • Start date
In summary, m2 / s2 is a unit for measuring energy per unit mass, and is commonly used in hydrodynamics, aerodynamics, and thermodynamics. It can also be used to measure potential, such as gravitational potential.
johann1301
What the heck is measured in m2 / s2??

Can somebody tell me what m2 / s2 measures?? A square meter per squared second??

Physics news on Phys.org

The rate of change in the growth of an area?

energy per unit mass!

what ever.
I ain't even important.

Measured? Nothing. But I suspect the question is really asking about what an energy equation means.

My guess is that it's the velocity component for 1 Joule of energy, 1 Joule = 1 kg m2 / s 2, or kinetic energy of an object = 1/2 mass v2 (with v2 stated as m2 / s2 ). ... or it could be related to centripetal acceleration, a = v2 / r.

Last edited:

russ_watters said:
Measured? Nothing. But I suspect the question is really asking about what an energy equation means.
Well, it could be a measure of energy per unit mass (above post #3): J/kg = Nm/kg = kg m sec^-2 m kg^-1 = m^2/sec^2

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Well, it could be a measure of energy per unit mass: J/kg = Nm/kg = kg m sec^-2 m kg^-1 = m^2/sec^2

AM

dacruick said:
energy per unit mass!

mwahahaha:biggrin:

i'm sorry for necrobumping this old tread, but AM is actually right.

Using bernoulli's equations you can find out the loss of energy due to friction in joule/kg, which is the same as m2/s2.

A joule is the same as a Newton times meter, while a Newton is the force required to accelerate a mass of 1 kg by 1 meter per second squared. so if you write it out it becomes:

[itex]\frac{J}{kg}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{N*m}{kg}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{kg*m*m}{s²*kg}[/itex] =[itex]\frac{m²}{s²}[/itex]

so m2/s2 could refer to the loss of energy per kg due to friction. It's used mostly in hydrodynamics and aerodynamics. Probably also in thermodynamics.

johann1301 said:
Can somebody tell me what m2 / s2 measures?? A square meter per squared second?

dacruick said:
energy per unit mass

Which would make m^2 / s^2 an optional unit form for potential, such as gravitational potential. For example, for object close enough to Earth's surface that gravitational force can be considered constant, then gravitational potential = g h = (9.8 m / s^2) (h m) = 9.8 h m^2 / s^2.

1. What is m2 / s2 and what does it measure?

m2 / s2 is a unit of measurement for acceleration, specifically for acceleration due to gravity. It represents the change in velocity (in meters per second) per unit of time squared.

2. How is m2 / s2 different from other units of acceleration?

m2 / s2 is the standard unit of acceleration in the International System of Units (SI). Other units of acceleration, such as feet per second squared, are not part of the SI system and may be converted to m2 / s2.

3. What are some examples of things that are measured in m2 / s2?

m2 / s2 is commonly used to measure the gravitational acceleration of objects on Earth, such as a falling object or the acceleration of a car. It can also be used to measure the acceleration of objects in outer space.

4. How is m2 / s2 calculated?

m2 / s2 is calculated by dividing the change in velocity (in meters per second) by the change in time (in seconds) squared. This can be represented as m/s/s or m/s^2.

5. What does m2 / s2 have to do with force?

m2 / s2 is related to force through Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. Since m2 / s2 measures acceleration, it is a factor in determining the force acting on an object.