PF Age Distribution - Learn About Different Age Groups

In summary, the conversation revolved around the age of the participants on the forum, with some expressing surprise at the range of ages present. Some members shared their age, while others joked about getting older. The conversation also touched on the advances in technology and how it has changed over the years. Some members also reflected on their own experiences and thoughts about aging. Overall, the conversation showcased the diversity of age groups on the forum and the different perspectives on the topic of age.

Age Distribution?

• 10s

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • 20s

Votes: 44 37.6%
  • 30s~40s

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • 50+

Votes: 31 26.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
heartyface
nah I'm just really curious,
cuz PF seems to possesses a much wider varities of age groups compared to similar forums like Aops, CC, etc...(mostly 10s~20s unless instructors/staffs, etc)
aw well :D
so hey guyz, I'm new here

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm hitting 60 in a a couple of of months. Nothing special, and nothing I can do about it.

You forgot older than dirt and older than rocks. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
You forgot older than dirt and older than rocks. :biggrin:
OK, I'm old, but I have no options in that regard.

Well, I do have one, but I'm not willing to exercise that one just yet.

20 here.

Actually I think an option "< 10" would have been interesting!

Turbo is being modest to avoid intimidating you. The fact is, he has to scrape the dinosaur crap off of the stone tablet in order to read the glyphs on his birth certificate.

I'll be a sprightly 56 in about a month. o:)

I just turned 19.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I just turned 19.

that's funny...you look much younger.

ROFL Jimmy

yeah right...

15. I am such a noob. :approve:

I am 39.95 plus shipping and handling.What? I can't use a gag more than once per forum?

DaveC426913 said:
I am 39.95 plus shipping and handling.
Act now, and we'll double your order. Just pay separate handling and shipping.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I just turned 19.

*wonders how Jimmy sees things*

I depressingly got my age wrong yesterday and realized I'm actually a year older than I think.

drizzle said:
*wonders how Jimmy sees things*

Don't know but his wife must be the queen of cougars.

Ryan_m_b said:
I depressingly got my age wrong yesterday and realized I'm actually a year older than I think.

Everyone crosses an invisible threshold where they must resort to calculating their age.

"Let's see, 2012 ... minus 1964... 48! No, it's not March yet. 47."

You seem to have crossed it.

I thought you turned 14 micro?

Born in 87, who else? :)

drizzle said:
I thought you turned 14 micro?

Yeah, 14 sounds cool! Let's make it 14.

Why the heck are the 30s lumped in with those 40s dinosaurs? The OP must be young. I remember when anything over 30 was 'old.'

And Dave: There is also a threshold where when somebody mentions something that is x years in the future and you wonder "will I still be here?" :uhh:

Saladsamurai said:
Why the heck are the 30s lumped in with those 40s dinosaurs? The OP must be young. I remember when anything over 30 was 'old.'

And Dave: There is also a threshold where when somebody mentions something that is x years in the future and you wonder "will I still be here?" :uhh:

There is a positive spin on this. From time to time I now think, "I'll probably be dead by then. Not my problem!"

Sometimes, that's a good thing.

I remember being about 6 years old, and thinking "1970 is coming! A whole new decade!"

I also remember wondering where I would be when the year 2000 came along. "Wow!" I knew I would be 36, and tried to imagine who I would be.

DaveC426913 said:
I also remember wondering where I would be when the year 2000 came along. "Wow!" I knew I would be 36, and tried to imagine who I would be.

I remember doing that. But I never thought I would live this long! Honestly, when I was very young, I figured the US and the Soviets would launch and end it all first. It was all too real back then.

Ivan Seeking said:
I remember doing that. But I never thought I would live this long! Honestly, when I was very young, I figured the US and the Soviets would launch and end it all first. It was all too real back then.

ha! I kinda do this too. It hurts my retirement funding. It's just hard for me to imagine me living to 65, so why waste all that money by saving it lol

I never thought there be anything after 2000. I did know I will be 38 in 2000, but I never realized I will get older after that, somehow 2K was putting a limit to my imagination.

As a kid, I, too, calculated the age I'd be on New Year's Eve 2000. I clearly remember thinking, Too bad I'll be too old (36) to really enjoy or appreciate the significance of seeing a new millennium :rofl:.

Hey kids the older you get the older old gets. To me, 80 is looking old now. This has been going on since I turned 30, back when I thought 40 was old.

A child thinks 20 shillings and 20 years can scarce ever be spent. - B. Franklin

LOVE the range of age on here. Most forums lack the "more mature" members because many aren't particularly computer literate I guess but geeks, regardless of age, LOVE technology. :-)

micromass said:
15 here. :biggrin:

You still out there terrorizing Japanese fishing boats saving Dolphins for Greenpeace? Also have the dolphins rick-rolld you yet?

netgypsy said:
LOVE the range of age on here. Most forums lack the "more mature" members because many aren't particularly computer literate I guess but geeks, regardless of age, LOVE technology. :-)
Some of us were computer "literate" back when early versions of DOS (or earlier languages) were used as operating systems.

OK, I'm older than dirt, but I'm proud of the fact that I could spend over $5k to buy a PC, a color monitor, and a printer, and I was stupid enough to do it. My first real PC was and IBM PS2 and it was horrendously expensive, but learning to program gave me an easy path out of that paper mill, and it was well worth it.

Want to go out on your own? If you are married, I hope you have a spouse that is confident in your abilities and is willing to spend some time growing your new business. If not, you are toast, and/or your relationship is.

hmmm, we have a shortage of teenagers.

//expecting rant about "young people these days"

Jimmy Snyder said:
A child thinks 20 shillings and 20 years can scarce ever be spent. - B. Franklin

What's funny is that Franklin was 12 when he wrote this and had a net worth of 260,000 pounds.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of studying age distribution?</h2><p>The purpose of studying age distribution is to understand the demographic makeup of a population and how it changes over time. This information can be used for various purposes such as planning for social services, predicting future trends, and identifying potential economic opportunities.</p><h2>2. How is age distribution typically represented?</h2><p>Age distribution is typically represented through a population pyramid, which is a graph that shows the distribution of age groups in a population. The pyramid shape is created by plotting the number of individuals in each age group, with the youngest age groups at the bottom and the oldest at the top.</p><h2>3. What are the different age groups used in age distribution analysis?</h2><p>The most commonly used age groups in age distribution analysis are 0-14 years (children), 15-64 years (working age), and 65+ years (elderly). However, some studies may use more specific age groups, such as 5-year intervals, to provide a more detailed analysis.</p><h2>4. How does age distribution vary across different countries?</h2><p>Age distribution can vary significantly across different countries due to factors such as fertility rates, mortality rates, and migration patterns. Generally, developed countries tend to have an older population, while developing countries have a younger population.</p><h2>5. How does age distribution impact society?</h2><p>Age distribution can have a significant impact on society, as it affects the workforce, healthcare needs, and social services. An aging population may lead to a decrease in the workforce, while a younger population may result in a larger workforce and potential economic growth. Age distribution also plays a role in the demand for healthcare services and the types of services needed.</p>

1. What is the purpose of studying age distribution?

The purpose of studying age distribution is to understand the demographic makeup of a population and how it changes over time. This information can be used for various purposes such as planning for social services, predicting future trends, and identifying potential economic opportunities.

2. How is age distribution typically represented?

Age distribution is typically represented through a population pyramid, which is a graph that shows the distribution of age groups in a population. The pyramid shape is created by plotting the number of individuals in each age group, with the youngest age groups at the bottom and the oldest at the top.

3. What are the different age groups used in age distribution analysis?

The most commonly used age groups in age distribution analysis are 0-14 years (children), 15-64 years (working age), and 65+ years (elderly). However, some studies may use more specific age groups, such as 5-year intervals, to provide a more detailed analysis.

4. How does age distribution vary across different countries?

Age distribution can vary significantly across different countries due to factors such as fertility rates, mortality rates, and migration patterns. Generally, developed countries tend to have an older population, while developing countries have a younger population.

5. How does age distribution impact society?

Age distribution can have a significant impact on society, as it affects the workforce, healthcare needs, and social services. An aging population may lead to a decrease in the workforce, while a younger population may result in a larger workforce and potential economic growth. Age distribution also plays a role in the demand for healthcare services and the types of services needed.

Back