Vector capable calculator recommendations?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the need for a vector capable calculator for a vector analysis course. While someone recommended the use of pen and paper or larger software programs like MATLAB and Mathematica for vector calculus, others suggested using a scientific calculator such as the TI-83 or the HP 50g for simpler vector operations. Ultimately, it was concluded that a calculator with basic functions and possibly graphing capabilities would suffice for vector analysis.
1MileCrash
I'm taking a vector analysis course this semester and would like a vector capable calculator.

For calculus I have been using a TI-83.

Any recommendations? Price not an issue, but as always its better to get the job done for less.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've never come across a calculator that can do vector analysis on it's own..
I think vector calculus is the point where you need to start backing away from calculators and rely on pen on paper manipulation or mammoths like MATLAB and mathematica.

I could be wrong though

Just quick dot products and vector addition and the like to cut down the time on working problems and reducing possibility for careless errors.

If you're just doing stuff like that I'm pretty sure it would be quicker doing it by hand or doing each operation individually on a standard calculator than typing two whole vectors into a calculator.

A wonder they make them at all...

Does anyone have recommendations for a vector capable calculator?

There's no reason to use a calculator for a lot of that stuff, except for like 4 function and trig stuff. Honestly, A scientific calculator is all you really need. Graphing is nice, has a bunch of cool stuffs, but not necessary.

Just use your TI-83. Dot products and cross products can both be expressed by matrices, which is included in the TI-83. Alternatively, you can write a program that just spits out your desired numbers.

HP 50g

1. What is a vector capable calculator?

A vector capable calculator is a calculator that is specifically designed to perform calculations involving vectors, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of vectors. It also has the ability to perform vector operations such as dot product, cross product, and finding the magnitude and direction of a vector.

2. What are the benefits of using a vector capable calculator?

Using a vector capable calculator can save time and reduce errors when performing calculations involving vectors. It also allows for more complex vector operations to be performed quickly and accurately, making it an essential tool for scientists and engineers.

3. What features should I look for in a vector capable calculator?

The main features to look for in a vector capable calculator include the ability to perform basic vector operations, support for both 2D and 3D vectors, and a user-friendly interface. Some calculators may also have additional features such as graphing capabilities and built-in formulas for common vector equations.

4. Are there any recommended brands or models for vector capable calculators?

Some popular brands for vector capable calculators include Texas Instruments, Casio, and HP. Some recommended models include the TI-84 Plus, Casio FX-9750GII, and HP Prime. It is important to consider your specific needs and budget when choosing a calculator.

5. Can I use a regular calculator for vector calculations?

While it is possible to perform some basic vector calculations on a regular calculator, a vector capable calculator is recommended for more complex operations. Regular calculators do not have the same level of functionality and may not provide accurate results for vector calculations.