Bending moment of square tubing

In summary: A36In summary, the person is asking for help in finding the bending moment for a 9' long square tubing that is fixed on one end and free on the other. The person clarifies that the tubing is actually 3x3x1/4" A36 and will be used to suspend a load. They are also looking for resources and references on how to calculate deflection for this type of beam.
Brian Simpson
I have some square tubing 3x3x1/4" A36 that will be fixed on one end and free on the other the material 9' long how was I find the bending moment?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you hanging stuff off of it? Bending from what?

You need the moment of inertia for that cross section, you need the distance from the stress plane to the central axis. and you need the forces that contribute to the bending. An understanding of the method by which the beam is joined at one end would make it more accurate, or you could assume it is rigid.

yes I am just hanging "stuff" from the end of the beam. the actual beam is going to be 9' long let's just say rigid on one end we are going to suspend the load on the end of the beam

Brian Simpson said:
I have some square tubing 3x3x14" A36 that will be fixed on one end and free on the other the material 9' long how was I find the bending moment?

It's not clear what you mean by 3x3x14" tubing. Perhaps you meant 3x3x1/4" tubing?

Yes sorry 3x3x1/4"

1. What is bending moment of square tubing?

Bending moment of square tubing is the measure of the amount of force that is applied to a square tube in order to cause it to bend.

2. How is bending moment calculated for square tubing?

Bending moment for square tubing is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the point of application to the center of the tube.

3. What factors affect the bending moment of square tubing?

The bending moment of square tubing is affected by the material properties of the tube, the dimensions and shape of the tube, and the applied force.

4. How does bending moment affect the strength of square tubing?

Bending moment can significantly affect the strength of square tubing. If the bending moment exceeds the tube's strength, it can cause the tube to permanently deform or even break.

5. What is a commonly used unit for measuring bending moment in square tubing?

The most commonly used unit for measuring bending moment in square tubing is pound-force per inch (lb-in) or Newton-meter (N-m).