Shockwaves and thermal energy created by a dying star

In summary: Yeah, it's true... been living under a rock for the last four years... Sorry I didn't realize my dream until recently.
Dropabomb
I was wondering yesterday, the shockwaves and thermal energy created by a dying star as it contracts (if that star is big enough) can create an explosion know as a supernova. so, after the supernova exploded, the star will continue to contract and create shockwaves and thermal energy, since these two situations are so much alike, it seems to me like it is possible for a second supernova to occur after the first, but that not true... why?? please tell me =D thanks a lot

Astronomy news on Phys.org

I believe your brief research mislead you to think that a supernova continues to contract after it's explosion.
The explosion is caused by a release of contracted energy, hence only one. I would also reason to believe that a supernova could not be possible at a constant point of contraction because that system would resemble a black hole.

Dropabomb said:
I was wondering yesterday, the shockwaves and thermal energy created by a dying star as it contracts (if that star is big enough) can create an explosion know as a supernova. so, after the supernova exploded, the star will continue to contract and create shockwaves and thermal energy, since these two situations are so much alike, it seems to me like it is possible for a second supernova to occur after the first, but that not true... why?? please tell me =D thanks a lot

Here's the basic scenario. The weight of the outer layers of the star is supported by the fusion happening at its interior. If the star is large enough, this process will eventually produce Iron at the core. Iron will not fuse without a net input of energy, so a dead iron core begins to form. When this core gets massive enough, its own atomic collapses under it own weight and it contracts suddenly. This leaves a hollow behind which the upper layers of the Star fall into causing the Sun to suddenly collapse itself. This sudden collapse is enough to cause much of the remaining mass of the star to undergo fusion in one big explosion. Any remaining outer layers are blown away.

Afterward, you are left with the core remnant, and a bunch of material flying away from it. Even if the core where to continue to collapse, it has no fuel left to power another fusion explosion.

Thanks for the 4 years-delayed replies, imagine my surprise when I received an email alert that this thread is still alive.

Honestly I don't know why I posted that question, it seems so silly now.

Dropabomb said:
Thanks for the 4 years-delayed replies, imagine my surprise when I received an email alert that this thread is still alive.

Honestly I don't know why I posted that question, it seems so silly now.

Freshtictac has just signed up and seems to be scouring PF's topic bilgewater.

DaveC426913 said:
Freshtictac has just signed up and seems to be scouring PF's topic bilgewater.

Yeah, it's true... been living under a rock for the last four years... Sorry I didn't realize my dream until recently.

What is a shockwave created by a dying star?

A shockwave created by a dying star is a high-energy disturbance that travels through space, carrying intense energy and causing rapid changes in pressure and temperature in its path.

How is a shockwave created by a dying star?

A shockwave is created when a dying star undergoes a supernova explosion. As the star runs out of fuel and collapses in on itself, the sudden release of energy causes a shockwave to propagate outwards.

What effects do shockwaves from dying stars have on surrounding objects?

Shockwaves from dying stars can have significant effects on surrounding objects, including heating up gases and materials, disrupting or destroying nearby objects, and triggering the formation of new stars and planets.

Can thermal energy from a dying star be harnessed for human use?

Currently, there is no known way to harness the thermal energy created by a dying star for human use. The energy is too intense and unpredictable, making it difficult to capture and convert into usable forms.

How do scientists study shockwaves and thermal energy from dying stars?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study shockwaves and thermal energy from dying stars, including telescopes, satellites, and computer simulations. They also analyze the light and other radiation emitted by these objects to learn more about their properties.