How Do You Calculate Work Done by an Expanding Gas?

• Thread starter brilyn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Work
In summary: J.In summary, the gas in the cylinder has a pressure of 6000 Pa and a piston with an area of 0.1m^2. As heat is added, the piston moves up 5cm and the work done on the surroundings by the expanding gas is calculated to be 0.3J. To find the internal energy, the equation Q = IE + W can be used. Additionally, it is easier to calculate work using PdV instead of Fds.
brilyn
A fas is in a cylinder is at pressure of 6000 Pa and a piston has an area of .1m^2. As heat is slowly added the piston is pushed up a distance of 5cm. Calculate the work done on the surroundings by the expanding gas. (Assume pressure stays constant).

Thus far i found the force using
P=f/a 6000Pa or 6000N/m^2=F/.1m^2 therefore F=600N Correct? i think I'm mixing up units, but then i used
W=1/2F(s^2) > 1/2(600N)(5cm)^2 > i get 7500N/cm^2 but these units don't seem right for work?
Can you help me with my units and this is the work done by the gas right?

To find the internal energy if 52J of heat is added do i just use Q=IE+W?

Physics news on Phys.org
brilyn said:
A fas is in a cylinder is at pressure of 6000 Pa and a piston has an area of .1m^2. As heat is slowly added the piston is pushed up a distance of 5cm. Calculate the work done on the surroundings by the expanding gas. (Assume pressure stays constant).

Thus far i found the force using
P=f/a 6000Pa or 6000N/m^2=F/.1m^2 therefore F=600N Correct? i think I'm mixing up units, but then i used
W=1/2F(s^2) > 1/2(600N)(5cm)^2 > i get 7500N/cm^2 but these units don't seem right for work?
Can you help me with my units and this is the work done by the gas right?

To find the internal energy if 52J of heat is added do i just use Q=IE+W?
[tex]W = P\Delta V[/tex]

You are trying to use W = force x distance but Fds = PAdS = PdV. It is much easier to use PdV.

What is the change in volume? Multiply that by the pressure to get the work done. On a PV diagram, Work is the area under the graph.

AM

Yes, your calculation for the force is correct. However, when calculating work, you need to make sure that the units are consistent. In this case, the force is in Newtons (N) and the displacement is in meters (m), so the work done will be in Joules (J). Therefore, the work done by the expanding gas would be 1/2(600N)(0.05m)^2 = 7.5J.

To find the internal energy, you can use the equation Q = ΔU + W, where Q is the heat added, ΔU is the change in internal energy, and W is the work done. So in this case, ΔU = Q - W = 52J - 7.5J = 44.5J. This is the change in internal energy of the gas.

1. What is a piston?

A piston is a mechanical component that moves back and forth inside a cylinder, converting the pressure of a fluid or gas into mechanical energy.

2. How do pistons generate heat?

Pistons generate heat through the process of compression. When the piston moves inside the cylinder, it compresses the air or fuel mixture, causing an increase in temperature.

3. What is the relationship between heat and work in a piston?

The relationship between heat and work in a piston is described by the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. In a piston, heat energy from the combustion of fuel is converted into mechanical work as the piston moves.

4. How is the efficiency of a piston engine measured?

The efficiency of a piston engine is measured by its thermal efficiency, which is the ratio of the engine's output work to the input heat energy. The higher the thermal efficiency, the more efficient the engine is at converting heat into work.

5. How does a piston engine use work to produce motion?

A piston engine uses work to produce motion through the process of combustion. Fuel is burned in the engine, which creates hot gases that expand and push against the piston, causing it to move. This motion is then transferred to the crankshaft and ultimately to the wheels, producing motion.